The Chew: Homemade Cheez-It Recipe
Michael Symon is a man of many talents, and one of his skills is showing us how to make our favorite snack food recipes at home from scratch. This time, he shared his Cheese Snaps Recipe to help you make your own version of classic Cheese-Its crackers.
The Chew: How’d They Make That? Cheez-Its
Symon said his son Kyle has always been addicted to Cheez-It crackers. That’s how Michael got inspired to figure out the recipe. You can use any semi-firm cheese to make these in your preferred flavor.
The recipe itself is simple. As for future How’d They Make That ideas, it sounds like The Chew crew is brimming with ideas for future segments. I sense that an entire cookbook could be in the offing! What would you like to find out how to make at home?
The Chew: Michael Symon Cheese Snaps Recipe Ingredients
Don’t skimp on the salt, because it’s critical for these snacks. This is a cheesy crust, and if you are thinking dessert, you should check out Carla’s Cheddar Apple Crumble.
- 8 oz shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (or use Havarti or Colby)
- 1 cup Flour
- 4 tbsp Ice Water
- 4 tbsp cubed Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
Michael Symon: The Chew Cheese Snaps Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven on 350 F.
- Pulse ingredients (except water) into a dough the consistency of sand.
- Add water a couple tablespoons at a time. If the dough is very dry, you may need a bit more water.
- Remove dough and make it into a disc.
- Flatten it and wrap it in plastic.
- Refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough on a flour-dusted prep surface.
- Shape it into a 1/4” thick rectangle and cut 1”x1” squares.
- Use a fork to crimp the edges of each square.
- Use a skewer to create a hole shape in the center of each square.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined sheet and bake 15 minutes, until crispy.