The Chew: Mario Batali Mystery Meal
The Chew featured a day of mystery ingredients, and Mario Batali used the theme to prepare this Eggplant Caponata Recipe. Plus, Clinton used his mystery ingredients, Watermelon and Cucumber, to create a fresh beverage.
What is the secret ingredient in Mario’s Eggplant Caponata? The magic comes from Cocoa. This versatile dish can be used as an appetizer or side dish, and you can customize it with the fresh vegetables you have available.
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Watermelon Cucumber Cocktail Recipe
- 1/2 cup Watermelon-Cucumber Juice
- 1 oz Triple Sec
- 1 1/2 oz Tequila
- 1 ring Jalapeno
- 2 cups seedless Watermelon
- 1/2 peeled, seeded Cucumber
- Puree cucumber with watermelon until smooth.
- Strain and discard solids. This should result in two cups of juice.
- Combine juice with tequila, jalapeno ring and triple sec in a shaker over ice.
- Shake for 30 seconds. Strain and serve on the rocks.
The Chew: Mario Batali Eggplant Caponata Recipe Ingredients
Mario and Michael Symon spoke about the richness of Sicilian food, which has an African influence. This Caponata was inspired by the Sicilian style of cooking. Just don’t use a heavy hand when it comes to the bitter Cocoa and the Cinnamon.
- 2 ribs diced Celery
- 3 tbsp Currants
- 2 cubed Eggplants
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 5 sprigs chopped Mint
- 1 sliced, toasted Baguette
- 1 diced Spanish Onion
- 3 tbsp Pine Nuts
- 1 tbsp Hot Chili Flakes
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Basic Tomato Sauce (see recipe)
- 2 chiffonade Zucchini Blossoms
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 4 cloves peeled, sliced Garlic
- 1/2 grated Carrot
- 1 diced Spanish Onion
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh Thyme
- 2 28-oz cans peeled Whole Tomatoes (hand crushed, with juices reserved)
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
Mario Batali: The Chew Eggplant Caponata Recipe Directions
- Heat olive oil on medium in a saute pan.
- Add onions with pine nuts, chili flakes, celery and currants.
- Saute about five minutes.
- Add eggplant with cinnamon, sugar, and cocoa.
- Cook another five minutes.
- Add thyme with red wine vinegar and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil; reduce and simmer as it combines, for about five minutes.
- Let cool completely and serve on crostini.
- Use mint and zucchini blossoms to garnish.
Tomato Sauce Directions
- Heat olive oil and then add onion and garlic to brown.
- Add carrot with thyme and cook to soften.
- Add tomatoes and reserved juices.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes to thicken.
- Salt to taste before serving.