The Chew: Chrissy Teigen Snack-Off
Carla Hall teamed up with guest co-host Chrissy Teigen to rescue a viewer’s family recipe. The viewer, Ashley, has had a Bakewell Tart recipe in her family for generations. But when she triesto make it, the pie crust always crumbles or tastes like cardboard and the almond flavor is never right. So Carla Hall came up with this Bakewell Tart Recipe to help her out.
Chrissy Teigen said she is the worst baker “ever in the history of all time.” She’s particularly bad at making pie crusts. But Carla Hall’s recipe is so simple and easy, Chrissy Teigen overcame her fear.
Chrissy Teigen also talked about the new show Snack-Off, which she is a judge on. The show has kids cooking competing for a golden spork. Chrissy Teigen said they’re making some “college-y type things.”
The Chew: Carla Hall’s Bakewell Tart Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups Flour (plus for dusting)
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 10 tablespoons Cold Unsalted Butter (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons Raspberry Jam
- 10 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Ground Almonds
- 1 large Egg (whisked)
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (whisked)
- 1 Lemon (zest & 1 teaspoon Juice)
- 2 teaspoons Water (plus more as needed)
Carla Hall: The Chew Bakewell Tart Recipe Directions
- Start by making the Pâte Sucrée. Mix cream, extract, and egg yolk in a measuring cup and chill. Be careful not to put too much extract in there like Chrissy Teigen did.
- Pulse 1 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter in a food processor until well-blended. Pulse until just a few pea-sized pieces of butter remain.
- Add in the wet ingredients and pulse until the dough starts to form a ball.
- Work with your hands on a lightly floured surface until everything is incorporated. Then shape into a 2 inch thick disk and wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Then preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter the inside of a 9 inch pan with a removable bottom.
- Let dough sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Roll out dough on floured service to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place dough over the prepared tart pan and press into the edges. Cut off any excess dough and reserve for another baking project of your choosing.
- Place foil or parchment inside dough and fill with baking beans. This will help the dough set in the right way. Bake for 15 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Remove from oven, remove baking beans, return to oven, and then bake 5 more minutes. Then remove from the oven again and let it cool.
- Then spread on the raspberry jam evenly on top of the crust.
- Melt 10 tablespoons butter and mix with 2/3 cup granulated sugar. Then add in 3/4 cup almonds and stir to incorporate evenly. Then add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, 1 large egg, 1/4 cup slice almonds, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to tart pan and evenly distribute it over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and double check to make sure the almonds aren’t burning. If the almonds start to turn brown, tent with foil and continue to cook.
- Then remove from oven and let cool.
- Then make the lemon glaze. Stir together sugar, lemon zest, and juice with water as needed until it is smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Also be careful not too put too much water in here, which is again what Chrissy Teigen did.
- Once the pie is cool, brush the lemon glaze on top.
Leave a Reply