The Chew: September Morn’
Mario Batali and Michael Symon had a breakfast cook-off on The Chew. Mario prepared these Chocolate Hazelnut Ricotta Crepes, while Michael made his Croque Madame Bread Pudding.
You can grind hazelnuts in a food processor if you can’t find hazelnut flour. Crepe batter needs to be thin, so be sure to let it rest as long as possible, even overnight if you have the time.
This filling uses chocolate hazelnut spread, better known to most people by the brand name Nutella. If you are looking for another way to incorporate Nutella into a meal other than a simple sandwich, here you go.
I like both of these ideas, but I am never this ambitious early in the morning. I might have to try this for brunch instead.
The Chew: Mario Batali Nutella Crepes Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Hazelnut Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 4 tbsp melted Butter
- Olive Oil
- pinch of Salt
- 2 cups drained Ricotta
- 2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped Hazelnuts
- pinch of Salt
Mario Batali: The Chew Chocolate Hazelnut Ricotta Crepes Recipe Directions
- Whisk flours with salt in a large bowl.
- Separately, combine milk with butter and eggs.
- Pour liquids into the flour mix and whisk until lumps are gone.
- Let stand 60 minutes or overnight.
- Melt a bit of butter on medium in a saute pan.
- Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons batter into the pan and cook about a minute.
- Flip and cook five to 10 seconds on the other side; remove and reserve.
- Repeat these steps until you use up all the batter.
- (Freeze any extra crepes you won’t be using right away. Store them in plastic and foil; thaw overnight to use.)
- Combine filling ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Fill each crepe with some of the mixture and fold the crepe in half.
- Garnish with chocolate hazelnut spread and chopped nuts.