The Chew: Chewer Vs Viewer Day 3 Carla Hall Vs Mimi Kozma
It’s day three of Chewer Vs Viewer on The Chew and the viewers won the previous two challenges. So was day three any different? Carla Hall took on Mimi Kozma from Panama City, Florida. Kozma challenged Hall with her Mama’s Chocolate Pie that she described as “so sinfully sweet.” She said, “This family recipe has been around for several generations. It’s made with a lot of love. Carla get ready to be schooled in pie 101.”
The three judges for the challenge were founder of Jacques Torres Chocolate, Jacques Torres, as well as two audience members Korbi and Crystal.
The Chew: Mama’s Chocolate Pie Review
So what did the judges think about Mimi Kozma’s chocolate pie? Korbi described the taste of the chocolate and the mint as “amazing” and Jacques was as excited as he could possibly be about being able to taste chocolate. “I love chocolate, it is my job!” he exclaimed. He described the different textures saying he liked the crunchiness of the crust, the creaminess of the chocolate, and the soft whipped cream on top. He thought it was “delicious.” Crystal said “I absolutely love chocolate and if you add alcohol to it that’s even better.”
But was her pie good enough to beat Carla’s? Yes it was! All three judges voted Mimi the winner!
The Chew: Mimi Kozma Mama’s Chocolate Pie Ingredients
Kozma shared that if you want a thicker pie, you can double the recipe and make a deep dish one. When it comes to cooling the temperature of the chocolate pie, Kozma suggested pouring the milk on the side of a cool bowl, while whisking, in order to cool the temperature even more. She also said that by adding the confectioners sugar on top of the pie, it reduces the risk of a skin forming on the top between the crust and homemade whipped cream.
- 12 Graham Cracker Squares (crushed; Honey Graham or Chocolate)
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 6-8 tbsp Melted Butter
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Chocolate Pie Ingredients
- 2 C Whole Milk
- 1/2 C Flour
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tsp Cornstarch
- 4 Eggs (beaten)
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 7 oz High quality Semisweet Chocolate (grated) (kitchen Ghirardelli Chocolate please)
- 4 tsp White Rum or Brandy
- Confectioners’ Sugar
- Fresh Mint (to garnish)
Mimi Kozma: The Chew Mama’s Chocolate Pie Directions
- Combine all ingredients in food processor.
- Spread and press onto pie plate.
- Chill for up to one hour.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350°F
- Let cool.
Note: This recipe will make a thick crust for a standard pie plate and a thin crust for a deep dish pie plate.
Whipped Cream Directions
- Place cream, sugar and vanilla extract into mixing bowl.
- Whip to stiff peaks.
Chocolate Pie Directions
- Heat milk on low heat.
- Beat eggs in a separate bow then sift in the sugar, flour, and cornstarch.
- Temper the milk with a bit of the egg mixture, and then incorporate completely.
- Return this mixture to the pan and cook over low heat, stirring with a whisk continuously until mixture thickens to the consistency of pudding, just below boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, chocolate and brandy/rum until smooth.
- Let cool a little bit and spoon filling into pie crust.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar to prevent skin from forming then chill.
- Spoon homemade whipped cream over chocolate filling.
- Sprinkle with grated Chocolate.
- Add a sprig of mint for garnish.