The Chew: Chewer Vs Viewer Day 3 Carla Hall Vs Mimi Kozma
The three judges for the challenge were founder of Jacques Torres Chocolate, Jacques Torres, as well as two audience members Korbi and Crystal. Jacque thought that Carla should have to make her pie with one hand behind her back in order to make it more even.
So what did the judges think after tasting Carla’s slab pie? Korbi thought it was great and said that she had never had rhubarb so it was a great experience. Jacque said that he liked the crust and the acidity that he got from the rhubarb and the strawberry. He said “this is also something delicious.” Crystal said she liked the crust as well and really liked the “chocolate surprise” at the bottom. But was it enough to win?
All three judges voted Mimi the winner! The “chewer” lost once again!
The Chew: Carla Hall Rhubarb Berry Slab Pie Recipe
Unlike most other pies, this pie is made in a sheet pan. She suggested that in order to keep the crust from getting soggy, spread the chocolate chips on the dough in the bottom of the pan and then add the berries on top second. She also suggested finishing the top of the pie with egg wash and sugar to make the crust even crunchier.
This pie is definitely unique in that by using a sheet pan you end with square pieces. It doesn’t look as much like a pie in my opinion because it lacks the signature triangle shape, but it still sure sounded delicious!
The Chew: Carla Hall Rhubarb Berry Slab Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 2 Recipes For Carla’s Perfect Pie Crust
- 4 C Rhubarb (Chopped)
- 2 quarts Fresh Strawberries
- 2 pints Fresh Blackberries
- 1 C Light Brown Sugar
- 1 C Sugar
- 1/3 C Cornstarch
- 2 C Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Egg (For Egg Wash)
- 2 tbsp Sugar In The Raw
- Powder Sugar (For Garnish)
- Whipped Cream (For Garnish)
Carla Hall: The Chew Rhubarb Berry Slab Pie Recipe Directions
- Line the bottom of your oven with a sheet of foil.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Grease a 18″ X 13″ inch sheet pan.
- Roll out pie crust doughs to a 24″x19″ rectangle.
- Line the pan with 1 piece of dough.
- In a large bowl combine rhubarb, berries, sugar and cornstarch.
- Spread the chocolate chips on the bottom of the pan on top of the dough.
- Add the berries on top of the chocolate and top with the remaining dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tbsp of water. Brush on top of the dough.
- Sprinkle with Sugar in the Raw.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until top is golden.
- Serve with powdered sugar and whipped cream.