The Chew: Sweet & Salty Dessert
For The Chew’s Sweet & Salty Spectacular show, Carla Hall took over the kitchen with some dessert snack ideas. But she had some help from Gillian Jacobs, a star of the NBC comedy Community, which airs Thursdays on NBC. She helped to make these Cheddar Apple Crumble Bars.
The Chew: Gillian Jacobs Community Season 5
Gillian Jacobs, a star of Community, said the show is almost canceled every year but has somehow survived to see a fifth season. Reruns currently air in syndication, so you can tune in almost anytime. In recent episodes, the school is fighting for survival in the face of potential closing.
The Chew: Gillian Jacobs Loves Cinnamon
Jacobs said she is not much help in the kitchen, but she is grateful that her boyfriend can cook. She does her part by cleaning up and doing the dishes afterwards. This dessert featured cinnamon, which is one of Jacobs’s favorite flavors.
Keep the butter cold by squeezing it between your fingers, but not the palms of your hands, because you want to keep the butter cold.
The Chew: Carla Hall Cheddar Apple Crumble Bars Recipe Ingredients
- 3 cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 12 oz Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 3/4 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- 6 peeled, cut Granny Smith Apples
- 1 tsp grated Cinnamon
- Zest & Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1/2 tsp grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Water
Carla Hall: The Chew Cheddar Apple Crumble Bars Recipe Directions
- Preheat your oven on 350 F.
- Combine compote ingredients in a wide pot.
- Bring to a boil; reduce and simmer.
- Cook for 13-14 minutes, stirring now and then so it does not burn.
- Once thickened, take off heat and let cool.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking pan with parchment and cooking spray.
- Whisk flour with salt and sugar.
- Stir in cheese and break up any clumps.
- Beat butter until it forms crumbles.
- Remove 2/3 of this mixture to a flour-dusted surface and knead to make it smooth.
- Press this dough into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread the compote over the base layer of dough.
- Sprinkle remaining dough crumbles on the top.
- Bake 30 minutes, until light golden.
- Take out of oven and cool to room temp.
- Chill for about half an hour in the fridge before cutting into serving size pieces.
- Try serving this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to seven days.