The Chew: Breakfast Battle
Michael Symon took on The Chew co-host Mario Batali in a breakfast duel. Michael made a Croque Madame Bread Pudding, and Mario shared his Chocolate Hazelnut Ricotta Crepes.
Michael said his favorite breakfast sandwich is the French Croque Madame, with ham and Gruyere cheese. There’s no egg on top in this bread pudding version, though (it’s part of the sauce instead). In a Tasting Table vote, this dish won the competition by a 3-2 vote.
The Chew: Michael Symon Croque Madame Bread Pudding Recipe Ingredients
Don’t let your sauce stick to the bottom of the pan while it cooks! Be careful not to add the eggs in all at once. Start slowly to let them temper. This one looked very rich but would probably make a great treat at brunch for a group.
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- Dijon Mustard
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tsp grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 10 slices Pullman Bread
- 6 slices Ham
- Salt & Pepper
Michael Symon: The Chew Croque Madame Bread Pudding Recipe Directions
- Grease a 9×9 baking dish with a tablespoon of butter.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a sauce pot on medium.
- Whisk flour into butter and cook for 90 seconds.
- Add cream with milk, salt and pepper.
- Simmer and stir, cooking about 45 minutes to thicken.
- Whisk in nutmeg with cheeses, mixing to melt; salt and pepper again to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Whisk eggs and ladle in some sauce, stirring to temper.
- Add more sauce, continuing to whisk.
- Transfer eggs into the sauce.
- Cook another one to two minutes.
- Take off heat and reserve.
- Spread bread with a light coat of mustard on one side and arrange it, mustard side up, in the buttered pan.
- Place two ladles of sauce, in even layers, over the bread.
- Cover sauce with ham and follow with another bread layer (mustard side up again).
- Add another layer of sauce and a final layer of bread (mustard side down).
- Top with remaining sauce and reserve at room temperature for one hour.
- Preheat oven at 375 F.
- Bake, uncovered, about half an hour.
- Let rest before serving.