Rachael Ray: Family Favorite Pasta
Rachael Ray made a White Meat Sauce dinner that gives you a new option for your next pasta night. Veal and beef combined with vegetables made a delicious start, and Rachael took it from there.
“It’s similar to a bolognese, but…it’s lighter in color and a little lighter in consistency too,” Rachael said.
I love that she gives everyone permission to experiment in the kitchen, without necessarily having to measure exactly. You can even substitute “any short cut pasta” in this dish. I bet that White Meat Sauce smells amazing while it simmers on the kitchen stove.
Rachael Ray: White Meat Sauce Recipe Ingredients
- 3/4 lb 80% lean Ground Beef
- 1 grated Carrot
- 1 fine chopped Onion
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp ground Cloves
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 lb Mezze Rigatoni
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3/4 lb Ground Veal
- 2 fine chopped ribs Celery
- 4 cloves fine chopped Garlic
- 2 tbsp thin sliced Sage leaves
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- fine chopped Parsley
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: White Meat Sauce Recipe Directions
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium high.
- Foam butter in the pan before adding the meats.
- Lightly brown and crumble the veal and beef.
- Then mix in onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaf, sage, nutmeg, cloves, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook about 11 minutes, stirring a few times. You want the veggies to sweat.
- Stir in tomato paste for about one minute. Next, pour in wine and let it evaporate.
- Add milk with stock and bring to a bubble.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes on low.
- Boil a large pot of water to cook the pasta. Heavily salt this and cook just short of al dente.
- Save one cup of starchy cooking water as you drain the noodles.
- Toss pasta with sauce and cheese, using the reserved water to bind everything together. (Think about throwing in some Pecorino Romano at this stage if you like.)
- Serve with extra Parmigiano.