Rachael Ray: Fresh Carrot Pesto
This pesto uses leftover carrot tops, plus fresh herbs, to create a whole new delicious dish that you can feel great about as you savor each bite. “I love the surprise of a little bit of lemon juice in my pesto,” Rachael said. “You want your pesto sauce nice and thick,” and you can always thin it out using pasta water toward the end of this recipe, so go easy on the olive oil.
Rachael Ray: Whole Grain Penne Carrot Top Pesto Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups cold-soaked, drained leafy Carrot Tops with stems trimmed
- flat-leaf Parsley Tops
- 1/3 cup toasted sliced Almonds & Pine Nuts
- 1/4 cup stemmed Tarragon leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 1 lb Whole Wheat Penne Rigate
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Whole Grain Penne Carrot Top Pesto Recipe Directions
- In a food processor, combine carrot tops with parsley, nuts, cheese, tarragon, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. (Save 2 tbsp nuts to garnish at the end.)
- Pulse the mixture to finely chop it before slowly streaming in five or six tablespoons of olive oil.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil to make your pasta. Heavily salt it.
- Cook pasta to al dente and save 1 cup of cooking water when it’s time to drain.
- Add 1/2 cup cooking water to the bowl of pesto sauce and mix in the pasta. Toss well to combine.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, using extra cooking water if needed to thin the pesto for an even coating.
- Top with reserved nuts and serve with cheese.
- Serve hot, at room temperature, or enjoy the leftovers cold.