Rachael Ray: Buddy Valastro Fresh Garlic
Buddy Valastro, chef and author of several cookbooks such as Family Celebrations with the Cake Boss: Recipes for Get-Togethers Throughout the Year, joined Rachael Ray to share his 5 ingredient pasta with tomatoes and green beans recipe.
Buddy Valastro, perhaps best known for his show Cake Boss, was joined in the kitchen by his wife, three sons, and one daughter. He explained that his mom always made “pasta and something” and this is one of his favorites that his wife and kids love as well. The kids used the garlic press to mince the garlic, which Buddy’s wife said was her favorite kitchen tool. There’s nothing like fresh garlic!
He also used the potato masher to press and break down the tomatoes, a great use for another kitchen tool. After everything is combined, you can only imagine how good it smells!
The thing I like most about this recipe, besides how easy it is, is how healthy it is, because not too often do you see healthy pasta dishes. It’s another easy, delicious recipe that you can make for your family for dinner tonight.
Rachael Ray: Buddy Valastro Pasta with Tomatoes and Green Beans Recipe Ingredients
- Kosher salt
- 4 to 5 C string beans
- 1 lb rigatoni
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
Rachael Ray: Buddy Valastro Pasta with Tomatoes and Green Beans Recipe Directions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Half-fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Add the string beans to the boiling water and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to move the string beans to the ice water to shock them and save the green color.
- Immediately drain the beans and set aside.
- Let the salted water return to a simmer and add the rigatoni.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the oil until almost smoking.
- Add the garlic and cook over low heat, about 1 minute without letting it brown or burn.
- Add the string beans, tomatoes and pasta to the pan and toss. Add a little of the pasta’s cooking liquid if the mixture seems dry.
- Divide among small plates or bowls and serve immediately, top with chopped basil.