Kelly & Michael: Superstar Thanksgiving Secrets Revealed Birds Nest Mashed Potatoes with Peas
Live! With Kelly & Michael had some extra Thanksgiving coverage this week, with Kelly Ripa sharing a Thanksgiving side recipe with Michael. She promised it was so easy that she could do it, so I was excited to learn more about it. I always love learning easy recipes and it’s always great to get some new ideas for Thanksgiving. I don’t think I’ve seen Kelly show her own recipe before either, so this was very exciting. It was all a part of Superstar Thanksgiving Secrets Revealed.
Kelly was putting a fun and easy twist on mashed potatoes. It was “birds nest mashed potatoes” with peas. This is a hit in her house and even her mom makes it. This is clearly not a non-fat recipe, but it’s the holidays, so it’s okay. Kelly swore that kids love them too.
Kelly & Michael: Bill Telepan Stuffing Secret
The co-hosts also showed a clip of a Thanksgiving secret from Bill Telepan. He said for stuffing, you can make it ahead of time. They then tried Kelly’s food and loved it. And then Kelly brought out Michael’s birthday cake and his mom was there.
Kelly & Michael: Kelly Ripa Birds Nest Mashed Potatoes with Peas Recipe Ingredients
- 4 lbs. Idaho Potatoes
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 8 tbsp Butter
- Salt & Pepper
- 16 oz. Frozen Peas
- 4 tbsp Butter
Kelly Ripa: Kelly & Michael Bird’s Nest Mashed Potatoes with Peas Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Make mashed potatoes like you normally would, by peeling, cutting and boiling them.
- Test them for softness with a knife and make sure they’re perfectly soft. The knife should penetrate them very easily.
- Drain the potatoes and put them in a bowl and mash them. Make them as mashed as you want.
- Take eight tablespoons of butter and a cup of heavy cream and add it to the potatoes as you’re mashing them.
- Take four tablespoons of butter in a pan and add thawed out frozen peas and cook and simmer them.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Take an ice cream scooper. You can do it like that or add an extra step by baking it in the oven. Put it on parchment paper and put scoops of mashed potato nests on it. Make indentations in it and put it in the oven.
- Bake about half an hour.
- Take the potatoes out and put them on the plate. Then place some peas and extra butter into the nest of each potato lump.
- Optionally, return to the oven to heat the peas and melt the butter before serving.
Check out the videos here: