Kelly and Michael: Thanksgiving Family Recipe Week
It was time to wrap up Live’s Thanksgiving Family Recipe Week, as Kelly & Michael executive producer Michael Gelman took over the kitchen to make three Sweet Potato recipes. Gelman’s ideas were more savory than sweet. Check out his Sweet Potato Pancakes, Mashed Coconut Sweet Potatoes, and an idea for a Baked Sweet Potato Bar.
Check out Louise Strahan’s Broccoli Casserole, Camilla Consuelos’s Pumpkin Dessert, Nicole Murphy’s Sausage Stuffing, and Kelly’s Brussels Sprouts Salad from this week. There is much more deliciousness on the Thanksgiving Pinterest Board. Gelman also made a bonus recipe: Spicy Cranberry Sauce.
Kelly & Michael: Gelman’s Sweet Potato Pancakes Recipe Ingredients
- 2 peeled Sweet Potatoes
- 2 peeled tart Apples
- 4 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 beaten Eggs
- 2 shredded Carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- Canola Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Michael Gelman: Kelly & Michael Sweet Potato Pancakes Recipe Directions
- Shred the apple with carrot, onion, and sweet potato.
- Mix these ingredients together in a bowl.
- Drain excess liquid before frying.
- Season with cornstarch, salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Whip eggs and mix them in.
- Portion these into pancakes about 2” in diameter and fry in canola oil on medium heat for about four minutes each, flipping halfway through.
Kelly and Michael: Michael Gelman Mashed Coconut Sweet Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 3 tbsp minced Cilantro leaves
- 1 clove minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 lb peeled, quartered, sliced Sweet Potatoes
- 1/4 cup Pepitas
Michael Gelman: Kelly & Michael Mashed Coconut Sweet Potatoes Recipe Directions
- Combine coconut milk with garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and sweet potatoes in a saucepan.
- Cover and cook on low heat, stirring now and then, for around 40 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Mash potato mixture with a masher and put them in a serving bowl.
- Stir in Sriracha with cilantro.
- Serve garnished with pepitas.
Kelly & Michael: Gelman’s Baked Sweet Potato Bar
Bake your sweet potatoes for 45 minutes at 400 F and serve them with the following topping options.
- Cinnamon Butter
- Cotija Cheese
- Maple Syrup
- Sour Cream