Kelly & Michael: Spelling Bee Champion Arvind Mahankali
This year, Arvind Mahankali was the winner of the 2013 Scripps National Bee when he spelled the word knaidel correctly. It was a moment of uncertainty for Arvind Mahankali though. In the two previous years had lost the championship on German derived words like knaidel.
The 13-year-old from Queens, New York, said he got third place in 2011 and 2012 after spelling jugendstil (German for art nouveau) wrong in 2011 and schwannoma (a tumor of the nerve) wrong in 2012.
Besides not being able to spell those words, Kelly couldn’t even believe they were real words in the first place.
Arvind Mahankali Preps for Spelling Bee by Studying and Working Out
Arvind Mahankali told Kelly and Michael he prepared for the spelling bee by working out. He wanted to make sure he was strong enough to hold the trophy over his head when he won. He also said he would study words all the time by browsing through the dictionary when he had free time. His parents also helped him by quizzing him and finding the hardest words to spell in the dictionary and making Arvind Mahankali memorize them.
Kelly was amazed again when Arvind Mahankali told her his parents never tell him when he needs to study because he knows. He is a very self-motivated kid. I think Kelly Ripa was a bit jealous.
Kelly & Michael Challenge Arvind Mahankali to a Spelling Bee
Kelly and Michael brought out the official pronouncer for the spelling bee, Dr. Jacques Bailey and challenged Arvind Mahankali to a spelling bee.
How many of the words below can you spell? Kelly and Michael only spelled the first word correctly.
- Machismo – Michael Gelman has a lot of machismo when he is practicing his yoga.
- Camaraderie – There is a great camaraderie between Michael and Kelly when they compete.
- Maladroit – Michaels maladroit attempt about why he forgot Nicole’s birthday only made the situation worse.
- Humuhumunukunukuapuaa – It’s a type of fish but Kelly couldn’t believe it was a word, let alone a word Arvind knew the definition for and was confident he could spell as well.
- Perambulate – One of Art Moore’s chief pleasure on a mild autumn evening, is to perambulate through the park and observe the changing colors of the foliage.
Kelly & Michael’s Inbox
Kelly and Michael had some time to kill before the end of the show so they read off some mail they had in their inbox.
- Harold wrote in saying a good name for any future businesses for Michael’s that might include a massage parlor could be Strahan’s Magical Hands.
- Mia wrote in saying few months ago she found a pouch with some money in it in the back of cab in New York City. There was no identification in the pouch but she was somehow able to find the person on Facebook so she could return the pouch and money.
- Abby wrote in saying she was excited to watch Kelly and Michael on her day off and sent in a picture of her watching alongside her kids.