Katie Couric August 29 2013
What does friendship mean to you? Like defining the word “love,” every answer might be a little bit different, but I’ve always appreciated the saying that “friends are the family you choose.” Katie Couric’s August 29 episode took a closer look at this phenomenon in The Friendship Show, featuring friend circles and the Saturday Night Widows.
Katie Friendship Show: Chelsea Handler & Kathy Najimy
Who knew that late night host Chelsea Handler was close to actress Kathy Najimy? The two said they have been friends since they met one another. Even the audience at this show was comprised of friends.
They became friends after Najimy appeared on Chelsea Lately, when Najimy expected Handler to be a mean girl. They also have a mutual friend in Jennifer Aniston. But they were not the only friends featured on Katie Show August 29.
Katie even brought her own best friend on the show, TV producer Wendy Walker, who has been in her life for 34 years!
Friend Circles: Friendships Don’t Just Happen Review
According to author Shasta Nelson, we all have five types of friendships, and she outlined these friend circles for Katie Couric from her book, Friendships Don’t Just Happen: The Guide To Creating a Meaningful Circle of Girlfriends.
The five types are:
- Contact Friends – people we know from a shared context or connection, such as school or church
- Common Friends – friendships based on a common interest or social connection
- Community Friends – friends we may have met through a shared connect, but whom we intentionally socialize with
- Confirmed Friends – close friends with a history, but who are not as in touch any longer with our daily lives
- Commitment Friends – these are your best friends, with whom you speak openly about meaningful aspects of life
Can you think of people in your life who fall into each of these categories? I can definitely chart how some of my friends have moved through the circles over a period of time. Is there anything missing from this chart? Tell me your thoughts in the comments.
Katie Show: Saturday Night Widows Review
Friendships can also be permanently bonded through the toughest moments in life, as seen with the Saturday Night Widows. This is a group of women who lost their spouses but found deep friendship in navigating tragedy together. Check out their story in the book Saturday Night Widows.
Leave a Reply