Good Morning America: Portlandia Season 5
Good Morning America welcomed the team behind Portlandia, Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen, to share some delicious ideas from The Portlandia Cookbook, including Y2K Apple Pie, Bacon Brussels Sprouts, and Babysitter’s Mac & Cheese.
Season 5 of Portlandia returns to IFC in January 2015, and it will include backstory on previously introduced characters; season 4 is already streaming on Netflix.
Good Morning America: Portlandia Cookbook Y2K Apple Pie Recipe Ingredients
This is based on the show’s Y2K Cafe sketch, which focused on the early 2000s era. Armisen said that he is allergic to apples, and he said that people are often proud to share what they are allergic to. Despite his allergy, he took a bite of the pie!
- 3 3/4 cups Flour
- 3 sticks chilled Unsalted Butter (in 1/2” cubes)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Ice Water
- Vegetable Oil Spray
- 8 or 9 peeled, cored, thin sliced Apples (your choice of Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, or Pink Lady)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/3 cup Flour
Portlandia Cookbook: GMA Y2K Apple Pie Recipe Directions
- Make the dough. Combine flour and salt in a shallow mixing bowl.
- Add in butter and use table knives or a pastry blender to cut them together into pea-sized balls.
- Add ice water and stir until dough starts to moisten a bit.
- Transfer dough to a flour-dusted prep surface and knead it gently to bring the pieces together, but do not overwork the dough. Plastic wrap and chill for half an hour.
- Prepare a 15 x 10 sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Unwrap the dough on a flour-dusted prep surface. Divide it into two pieces, with one section using about 60% of the dough.
- Roll the larger sized piece into a rectangle, approximately 13 x 18”. Press this into the corners of your prepared pan, trimming anything beyond about 1” of excess dough.
- Roll the remaining dough to 15 x 10 and cut it across its length to create a dozen 1” wide strips.
- Chill these strips on a flour-dusted baking sheet.
- Preheat oven at 375 F.
- Combine apples and lemon juice for the filling.
- Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Transfer filling into an even layer in your baking pan. Arrange four strips lengthwise over the filling.
- Use the other strips to criss cross and weave among those four in any pattern you desire. You can cut and patch them as needed.
- Brush the pan rim with some water and fold the overhanging dough toward the strips at the edges. Crimp and brush with water.
- Sprinkle the pie with sugar before baking.
- Cook until golden and bubbly, about one hour and 20 minutes. Wrap crust edges with foil to prevent burning if necessary.
- Let cool about four hours before serving.