Good Morning America: Buzzfeed BBQ Mash Ups
Good Morning America teamed with Buzzfeed to reinvent some food favorites. After making a creative breakfast menu, the experiment turned its focus to BBQ, with Christine Byrne’s 7-Layer Potaco Salad.
“Potato salad is great, but it can get a little boring,” Christine said. It won’t be boring as the base layer for this dip. For more barbecue goodness, enjoy Chili Mac & Cheese Fries or Pimento Cheeseburger Corn Dogs.
Good Morning America: Buzzfeed 7-Layer Potaco Salad Recipe Ingredients
- 1 15-oz can Refried Beans
- 8 oz grated Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups Salsa
- 1/2 cup thin sliced Black Olives
Potato Salad Ingredients
- 2 lb peeled, 1” cubed Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Cilantro leaves
- 2 ripe peeled, 1/4” cubed Avocados
- 1 minced Red Onion
- 1 cored, 1/4” cubed Beefsteak Tomato
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lime
Taco Meat Ingredients
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- Salt & Pepper
Buzzfeed: Good Morning America 7-Layer Potaco Salad Recipe Directions
- Place potatoes in a pot and cover them by one inch in a pot.
- Bring to a boil on high heat and cook until soft, around 16-19 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander after boiling, but do not rinse.
- Heat canola oil on medium high in a skillet.
- Add ground beef with salt and pepper, stirring about a minute until browned.
- Mix in taco seasoning and cook about two minutes, until fully done.
- Drain fat and take pan off heat.
- Combine guacamole ingredients; salt and pepper.
- Mash avocado to your preferred consistency and chill guac until ready to assemble.
- Transfer drained potatoes to a mixing bowl.
- Chop cilantro (but reserve two tablespoons for garnish).
- Add cilantro with mayo and sour cream to the potatoes; salt and pepper.
- Place potato salad in an even layer in the bottom of a clear, deep one-gallon bowl.
- Top with an even layer of refried beans.
- Next, add a layer of salsa, followed by taco meat, guacamole, and cheddar.
- Top with olive slices and cilantro to garnish and serve.