Good Morning America: Breakfast Mash Ups
Buzzfeed and Good Morning America teamed up to create an inventive menu of breakfast items, including Christine Byrne’s Breakfast Lasagna Benedict.
Byrne is Buzzfeed’s assistant food editor. She is a graduate of New York’s French Culinary Institute, and she believes that peanut butter goes with everything. For more meal ideas, get the Crumb Cake French Toast or Breakfast Wafflebrown Sandwich.
Good Morning America: Christine Byrne Breakfast Lasagna Benedict Recipe Ingredients
“Everybody loves brunch. Eggs Benedict is really awesome, so we figured, ‘Why not sandwich some of the spinach and the ham between layers of pasta?’ And everything’s better with an egg on top,” Byrne said of her Breakfast Lasagna concoction.
- 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 4 cups Milk
- 8 oz Baby Spinach
- 1/2 lb Lasagna Sheets (cooked to al dente)
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 7-oz packs Deli Ham (cut in 1” strips)
- 8 Eggs
- Salt & Pepper
Christine Byrne: Good Morning America Breakfast Lasagna Benedict Recipe Directions
- Preheat your oven on 375 F.
- Create a bechamel sauce. Melt butter on medium heat in a saucepan.
- Whisk in flour until sticky but smooth, around two minutes.
- Slowly stream in milk as you whisk; salt and pepper.
- After about six minutes of whisking, sauce should coat the back of a spoon.
- Turn off heat and stir in spinach until coated in sauce.
- Stir in sliced ham.
- Prepare a baking dish.
- Place half the cooked pasta sheets in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread half the bechamel mixture over the lasagna noodles.
- Arrange remaining pasta on top, followed by a final layer of bechamel.
- Bake for around 20 minutes, until bubbly on top.
- Remove from oven and press the back of a spoon into the top to make eight indentations.
- Crack an egg into each indentation.
- Return to oven and cook about 10 more minutes; egg whites should be opaque but yolks can remain runny.
- Let cook before serving.