GMA: Gail Simmons Simple Pasta Topping Recipes
Gail Simmons, editor of Food & Wine magazine had some simple pasta topping recipes for us to try March 21 2013. Sam Champion, who apparently had consumed a lot of caffeine that morning, dug into an entire serving bowl of one of these pastas with a giant serving spoon. When someone doesn’t bother with a plate, even someone all hopped up on caffeine, that’s when you know it’s good.
GMA: Gail Simmons Thyme-Frico Crumble
First up was Gail Simmons’ delicious looking thyme-frico crumble. That’s a fancy way of saying she made a giant cookie-shaped baked cheese crisp and then crumbled it onto a pasta. No wonder Sam Champion reached for the serving bowl.
Gail Simmons Thyme-Frico Crumble Ingredients:
- 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Gail Simmons Thyme-Frico Crumble Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In an ovenproof 10-inch skillet, combine the parmigiano, thyme and black pepper and toss well. Spread into an even layer.
- Bake the cheese until it’s golden, about eight minutes.
- Let cool and then crumble onto your favorite pasta.
GMA: Gail Simmons Fried Capers and Sage
This topping is great for buttery dishes. You can store it for up to two days in the fridge.
Gail Simmons Fried Capers and Sage Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup drained capers, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons small sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Gail Simmons Fried Capers and Sage Directions:
- Heat oil in medium skillet.
- Add the sage leaves, red pepper and capers.
- Cook over medium heat until the capers open and are lightly browned, about five minutes.
- Put the capers and sage leaves on paper towels to drain and cool.
GMA: Gail Simmons Toasted Chorizo Bread Crumbs
Gail Simmons Toasted Chorizo Bread Crumb Ingredients:
- 2 ounces dry chorizo, sliced
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Freshly ground pepper
Gail Simmons Toasted Chorizo Bread Crumb Directions:
- Mince the chorizo with the garlic in a food processor.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Add chorizo mixture and cook over medium heat until sizzling, about 30 seconds.
- Add panko and cook while stirring about 2 to 3 minutes, or until toasted.
- Season with salt and pepper and put in bowl.