Good Morning America: Holiday Pie Ideas
Viewer Kristen Abbott got inspired to whip up a dessert menu of Thanksgiving pies inspired by the Good Morning America anchor team. Try Robin’s Christmas Punch Pie and George’s Baklava Apple Pie. Also check out what Abbott created with Lara Spencer, Ginger Zee, and Amy Robach in mind.
Good Morning America: Robin Roberts Christmas Punch Pie Recipe Ingredients
“Robin, one of the things I love about you is your relationship with your family,” Kristen Abbott said. “So this pie celebrates that.” It was inspired by Robin’s mother’s Christmas Punch Recipe, and tasting it made Robin emotional.
- 5 soft Molasses Cookies (or use soft Gingersnaps)
- 2 1/2 cups Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Lime Zest
- 2 tsp ground Ginger
- 5 tbsp soft Salted Butter
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Lime Juice
- 3/4 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup chopped frozen Strawberries
- 12 Lime slices, to garnish
Good Morning America: Robin Roberts Pie Recipe Directions
- Prepare a pie plate with cooking spray.
- Work cookies in a food processor to the texture of dirt.
- In a bowl, mix cookie crumbs with butter and press this into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Mix whipping cream with vanilla and sugar, beating into stiff peaks. Reserve.
- In a separate bowl, combine lime juice and zest with ginger and sweetened condensed milk. Work in two cups of whipped cream and one cup of strawberries.
- Transfer this mixture into the pie crust.
- Garnish with whipped cream and lime slices. Freeze six hours or overnight.
- Let sit at room temperature before slicing. Store leftovers in the freezer.
Good Morning America: George Stephanopoulos Baklava Apple Pie Recipe Ingredients
“This is based on your Greek heritage,” Kristen Abbott said to George Stephanopoulos. It is a combination of a Baklava-inspired crust and the White House apple pie filling.
- 1 package Phyllo Dough
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 peeled, cored, chopped Granny Smith Apples
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2/3 cup chopped Walnuts
- 1 cup Honey (+ 1 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp Salted Butter
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
Good Morning America: George Stephanopoulos Baklava Apple Pie Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven at 375 F and prepare a pie plate.
- Combine walnuts with 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- Open the phyllo dough package and put it under a damp towel.
- Place three sheets of dough in the pie pie and spray with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle in 1/3 cup walnuts, topped with three more dough sheets and cooking spray.
- Repeat layers of walnuts, dough, and cooking spray. Cut small slits in the top of the pie, about halfway down.
- Mix 1/2 cup honey with 2 tbsp water and pour over the crust to soak in through the slits.
- Once it has mostly absorbed, trim dough edges and bake 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine apples with butter, sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and lemon juice in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and let thicken. Pour this on top of the baked pie and cover with four sheets of dough.
- Spray with cooking spray and add 1 tbsp honey.
- Bake 10 more minutes. Cut slits into the top of the pie. Melt 1 tbsp butter with 1 tbsp honey and brush this all over the top.
- Let rest 25 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply