Good Morning America: Portlandia
From the IFC series Portlandia, stars Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein visited Good Morning America to share some food ideas from The Portlandia Cookbook: Cook Like a Local. Their menu for GMA included Mac and Cheese, plus Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Y2K Apple Pie.
“It’s such a big part of everyday culture naturally,” Fred Armisen said of food. “But also in Portland, it really defines who you are.” George Stephanopoulos called Portland a huge foodie city.
A new season of Portlandia begins on IFC in January 2015.
Good Morning America: Portlandia Cookbook Babysitter’s Mac and Cheese Recipe Ingredients
This comfort food is based on the “Adult Babysitter” sketch. Macaroni and cheese has become popular at restaurants in recent years.
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 1/2 cups Half & Half (or use Milk)
- 1/2 lb Colby Jack Cheese (in 1/2” pieces)
- pinch of Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 tbsp Flour
- pinch of Nutmeg
- 1 lb Sharp Cheddar (in 1/2” pieces)
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni
- Salt & Pepper
Portlandia Cookbook: Good Morning America Babysitter’s Mac and Cheese Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 350 F and prepare a 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt butter on medium heat. When it’s done foaming, add in flour and stir for two minutes.
- Whisk in Half & Half for three minutes, until thick. Add nutmeg with salt and pepper.
- Add half the cheddar and half the Colby Jack. Cook on low, stirring to melt cheese.
- Separately, cook pasta in heavily salted boiling water, to al dente.
- Drain pasta to get out as much water as possible.
- Return pasta to its pot. Add cheese sauce and the remaining cheddar and Colby Jack.
- Stir everything together before pouring it into the baking dish in a single layer.
- Spread parmigiano-reggiano on top.
- Bake about 45 minutes, to golden and bubbly.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.