GMA: Fabio Viviani – Fabio’s Italian Kitchen Review
Good Morning America had a long day of reporting and they needed some good old Italian food to keep them going the rest of the day, so they invited chef Fabio Viviani onto the show. Viviani brought three recipes from his new cookbook, Fabio’s Italian Kitchen, to share with the audience. He did say none of the recipes are his though. All of them came from his mother and the only way she would give them to him is if he added stories about his childhood into the book, which he reluctantly did.
Everyone on the show agreed their favorite story in the book was about the time Viviani made a sponge cake at the age of seven to give to the Pope. When he had the chance to deliver the cake right to the Pope, he must have been in a hyper mood because he knocked off the Pope’s hat.
“It was a disaster,” he said.
You may notice one of the recipes below, the drunken spaghetti recipe, calls for a whole bottle of wine. That is no mistake. Viviani said when Italians get together they bring so much wine they can’t drink it all at the party meaning most of it has to be used for the cooking.
Fabio Viviani Drunken Spaghetti Recipe
Fabio Viviani Drunken Spaghetti Ingredients:
- 2 quarts water
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 lb. dry spaghetti
- ½ lb. pancetta, diced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Shaved Pecorino cheese to top
Fabio Viviani Drunken Spaghetti Directions:
- Bring the water and the wine to a boil in a large pot. Cook the pasta in it until the pasta is al dente. Drain, reserving a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid. In a sauté pan, cook the pancetta in the butter until its fat has been rendered.
- Add the spaghetti and about one tablespoon of the reserved cooking liquid to the sauté pan. Once the liquid has reduced, remove the pasta from the heat. Add the ricotta and walnuts and mix with tongs. Top with the Pecorino and serve.
Fabio Viviani Mom’s Meatballs Recipe
Fabio Viviani Mom’s Meatballs Ingredients:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 oz. whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups Fabio’s tomato sauce
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Fabio Viviani Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
- 6 cloves garlic
- 8 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 28-oz. can of whole plum tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 10 basil leaves
Fabio Viviani Mom’s Meatballs Directions:
- Place all ingredients except the tomato sauce, the parsley and the extra-virgin olive oil in a medium-size bowl and mix thoroughly by hand until the mixture is uniformly firm. Next, form balls slightly bigger than a golf ball.
- Heat the tomato sauce in a saucepan over medium heat, then drop the meatballs into the sauce and add enough water to allow the sauce to reduce and simmer but not so much that the sauce is totally liquid. Cook for about 10 minutes on one side, then turn the meatballs over, add some more water, and cook for another 10 minutes, using a spoon to cover the meatballs with the sauce as they simmer. Remove from heat and let rest for five minutes.
- Serve with chopped parsley, salt and pepper, more Parmigiano-Reggiano and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
For the Tomato Sauce:
- Smash the garlic with the back of a knife. Place the garlic and five tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the garlic is golden brown. Add the tomatoes and generous pinches of salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce is thick and no longer watery, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the remaining three tablespoons of olive oil and turn the heat to high. Stir, crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until the oil turns red, then turn off the heat and add the basil at the very end.
Fabio Viviani Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe
Fabios Viviani Cherry Tomato Salad Ingredients:
- 3 oranges, peeled and cut into segments with the membranes removed
- 20 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 30 basil leaves
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- A pinch of salt
Fabios Viviani Cherry Tomato Salad Directions:
- Place the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Serve.