Good Morning America: Emeril Lagasse Goes Gluten Free
After learning both his daughters had Celiac Disease, which is an adverse reaction to gluten, Emeril Lagasse knew he had to start making some new recipes his daughters could eat. He made a new cookbook, The Gluten Free Table covering everything gluten free. Emeril said his daughters were diagnosed almost 10 years ago before much was known about the disease. But now he says he can make them great foods, not just rice cakes and bland foods. Gluten free does not mean it does not have to taste good. That’s why he made Gluten Free Pizza and even a dessert recipe on GMA.
Good Morning America: Gluten Free Pizza
- 1 cup warm water (no hotter than 110 degrees F.)
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups white rice flour
- ½ cup soy flour
- 2/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup hot water
- 4 large eggs, whites only, at room temperature
- Favorite sauce and topping ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine 1 cup warm water, 2 tablespoons active dry yeast and sugar. Set aside until the yeast is foamy which should take about 5 mintues.
- Liberally spray two large baking pans with nonstick cooking spray. And make sure to use a lot so the pizza doesn’t stick in the pan.
- Combine the white rice flour, soy flour, milk powder, tapioca four, xanthan gum, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer with paddle attached. Mix on low until the flour is well incorporated. Little by little add the olive oil and the ½ cup of hot water. Xanthan gum is the key ingredient, helping the dough to rise.
- Slowly drizzle in the egg whites until the mixture is fully incorporated. Add the yeast mixture and combine. Increase the speed to high and mix for 4 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and evenly divide into two balls. Place one of the dough balls onto each pan. Using lightly greased hands, gently press each portion of dough into a 14 to 16- inch circle about ¼ inch thick, leaving the dough around the edges a bit thicker. Set aside for 10 minutes to rise.
- Place the dough into the oven and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with your favorite sauce and ingredients.
- Place back into the oven and continue to cook until the crust is golden brown and crispy, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
Good Morning America: Flourless Chocolate and Almond Cake
- 6 tbsp. butter, unsalted
- 4 oz good-quality chocolate with at least %67 cocoa solids, chopped
- ¾ cup sugar, finely granulated
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- ½ tsp. all natural vanilla extract
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. ground almonds (almond flour)
- ½ heaped tsp. gluten free baking powder
- Topping: (optional)
- Freshly whipped cream
- Fresh raspberries
- Confectioner’s sugar and a small sieve for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease the cake tin and line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit the tin.
- Using a double broiler, melt the chocolate of low heat and simmering water. Do this by placing a heatproof glass bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water. Once melted take off heat immediately and set aside.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy by using a hand held electric mixer or beaters.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract into the bowl and gently beat for 1 minute till well incorporated.
- Slowly and gently fold in the melted chocolate to the butter mixture till well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix the batter well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 28 – 30 minutes or until when a skewer is inserted it wipes clean. It should be firm in the middle, not jiggly.
- Leave to cool in the tin completely.
- Once fully cooled, hold a plate over the top of cake and gently flip over to expose the parchment-lined bottom of the cake. Peel off the parchment paper and flip the cake back over on to the right side.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to allow cake to firm up and set.
- Top with a heaped amount of freshly whipped cream, fresh raspberries and a dusting of confectioner’s sugar. (Optional)
Good Morning America: Sam Champion is Getting Married
Sam Champion is officially off the market. Champion said he never thought he would ever be so lucky as to meet a guy as great as his long time boyfriend Rubem Robierb. Robin also tweeted at the couple saying she was so happy for them and hopes she can be healthy enough to attend the wedding.
Sam said he could not believe how many people knew he was getting married just from seeing Twitter and Facebook.
Good luck Sam and congratulations from everyone at Recapo.