Ellen: Drew Barrymore Pasta Recipe
Drew Barrymore cooked on Ellen today and said it was always her fantasy to drink wine and cook on television.
“I did Johnny Carson in ’81,” she said. “I’m old hat at talk shows. I was up all night, nervous about this.”
Throughout the segment, Drew Barrymore was visibly nervous. Ellen had to remind her that this was her fantasy and that she can act like she’s not nervous if it makes her feel more comfortable.
“I can act. Oh, that’s what I can do,” Drew Barrymore said, like this was a revelation.
After cooking, when Ellen went to taste the pasta, Drew Barrymore reached for her wine and looked anxiously at Ellen as she ate.
“It’s delicious,” Ellen declared. Take a look for yourself, and keep reading for the recipe.
Drew Barrymore: Will’s Favorite Pasta Recipe
This is Drew Barrymore’s own recipe. She said that while she normally cares a lot about precise measurements, when she cooks this pasta, she doesn’t really look at precise measurements. She described it as her “I’ve arrived” pasta. These are the basic measurements. Feel free to experiment at home the way Drew Barrymore did.
- 2 lbs Bucatini Pasta (or one box fusilli)
- 1 lb of cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Fresh Basil
- 3 tablespoons of dried chives
- 3 tablespoons of dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons of onion salt
- Tablespoon of harissa paste
- Start by cooking the garlic in oil. Cook it until it is a medium brown color, almost burned. Drew Barrymore said she accidentally burned the garlic one day while making it and that it turned out really good, so she kept doing it that way from then on.
- Then add the cherry tomatoes, which should be cut in half.
- After about five minutes, add the chives, the parsley, the pepper, the salt, the onion salt and harissa paste. The harissa paste adds to the roasted flavor.
- For every five minutes after that, add fresh basil. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, begin boiling a pot of water. Add pasta as directed. By the time your pasta is done, the sauce should be complete as well.
- Combine ingredients and enjoy!