Dr Phil: Ashley & Erin’s Open Marriage
Ashley and Erin are in a really awkward place. Erin cheated on Ashley six times and then they decided to go into an open marriage. When Erin finally decided to commit monogamously he found Ashley was still in her other relationship.
Dr Phil: Staying Together For the Kids
Should their marriage be saved and how do they do that? Dr Phil told them both that they are in the wrong. Erin read Ashley’s journal and found out about the lies. Erin cheated on Ashley six times. The problem is that they can’t just hit the restart button.
Dr Phil took on the voice of the kids. Ashley and Erin owe it to themselves to give their marriage a legitimate chance. They don’t want to go on to explain how their marriage fell apart and say they didn’t give it every chance they could.
Dr Phil’s Solution
Dr Phil’s option for this couple is to give the marriage 90 days with serious counseling. If it doesn’t work in 90 days they are free to cut their marriage ties and co-parent. They agreed to take the help for their family.
Dr Phil’s Final Comments
Here are Dr Phil’s “6 Tips For Maintaining a Successful Relationship.”
- Have a solid friendship – You and your partner should laugh, talk, do life together.
- Meet each other’s needs – You need to communicate your needs to your partner and listen to theirs.
- Set specific goals – Ask yourself, “what do you want in your relationship?”
- Get back to basics – Try to remember why you fell in love and began a relationship.
- Take responsibility – Remember that the only person you control is you.
- Turn the negatives into a to-do list – Take the things that bother you, work on them and change them.