Dr Oz: Rocco DiSpirito Now Eat This
Chef Rocco DiSpirito visited Dr Oz to show off a Meatloaf Bolognese idea and his healthy sour cream swap. But that was not all he had to share. He also made an Italian Hot Dog recipe from his latest cookbook, Now Eat This! Italian.
Dr Oz: Now Eat This! Italian Review
In Now Eat This! Italian, Chef Rocco shows you how to make any Italian dish healthier, just by replacing bad ingredients with healthier options. For example, kids especially are big fans of hot dogs. But there are many ingredients in hot dogs that are not part of an ideal diet. To show how the book works, Rocco made his own hot dogs for Dr Oz.
Dr Oz: Rocco DiSpirito Italian Hot Dog Recipe
A typical hot dog has 560 calories and 32 grams of fat. But this version has 291 calories and 11 grams of fat, which is a big difference.
- Cooking Spray
- 4 Turkey Sausage Links
- 7 cloves Garlic, sliced thin
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Cubanelle Pepper
- 1/4 cup Chopped Tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns
- Preheat your oven’s broiler and slice all hot dog toppings to desired thickness.
- Spray a skillet and heat it to medium high. Add links and brown on both sides, about four minutes total, flipping halfway. Reserve sausages on a plate.
- Reduce heat and add garlic until browned. Stir in peppers and onions until soft, approximately seven to nine minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the pot and simmer. Put the sausages back in the pan until fully cooked, about another four to six minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Toast buns in broiler if desired. Serve with one link per bun, topped with the onion/pepper mix.
I prefer turkey as a protein to beef and even chicken sometimes, so this recipe sounds really good to me. What do you think? If you try it, let me know whether I should add it to my recipe collection.