Dr Oz: Cheap Detox Foods
As part of detox week, Dr Oz was excited to share cheap and delicious meals that won’t make you go broke. He wanted to tackle the two biggest reasons people don’t detox: it’s too expensive and it doesn’t taste good. To help him, he welcomed co-hosts of The Chew, his daughter Daphne and Michael Symon.
Daphne said for her, the main thing is not wanting to be hungry. She said she would rather eat as little processed food as possible making fast, favorable healthy meals. Michael said that his wife is a vegetarian which helps with getting him to eat healthier.
Dr Oz: Gourmet Cheap Watermelon Salad
Daphne Oz then revealed a cheap detox food, and Michael had to make a gourmet meal based on that food. Daphne showed a watermelon, and Michael explained that he was going to make his watermelon feta salad. Michael explained that his mom would always make a watermelon salad when they were younger. The recipe included fresh mint and nuts, which means a lot of great flavor and bonus health benefits.
This salad cost just 14 cents per serving. Now that’s a cheap detox meal!
Be sure to check out Daphne’s healthy detox recipe using papaya.
Dr Oz: Michael Symon Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chiffonade
- 8 oz red seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp scallions – thinly sliced, white & green parts
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp minced shallot
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1/4 C crumbled Greek feta cheese
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
Michael Symon: Dr Oz Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe Directions
- Mix together red wine vinegar, garlic, shallot, mint, & olive oil in a mixing bowl
- Season with salt & pepper to taste
- Add watermelon to the vinaigrette & toss until coated evenly
- Fold in the feta & scallions
- Serve with almonds over the top