Dr Oz: High Volume Vs Calorie-Loaded Foods
Dr Oz asked what if you could lose a great amount of weight all while eating large amounts of food. Jorge Cruise, author of The 100 and The Belly Fat Cure, explained that in order to lose weight, some people think we shouldn’t eat at all. He said the trick is eating things that are high-volume in order to eat a lot and lose a lot.
Dr Oz: Jorge Cruise Baked Pickles Recipe Ingredients
Dr Oz showed a small plate of 12 onion rings that were 356 calories. Instead, he had pickles baked with almond flour to make them a satisfying treat. You could have 30 of the baked pickles for 72 calories. You can also do the same thing with other vegetables, like green beans.
- 1 C almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 6 to 10 dill pickles, cut in half
Dr Oz: Jorge Cruise Baked Pickles Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Taste the mixture for flavor and adjust seasoning to your preference.
- Dip pickle slices in water, then coat with dry mixture and place on a baking sheet making sure not to overcrowd.
- Bake the pickles in batches if necessary.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes and remove when lightly browned. This depends on the style of pickle, so be sure to keep your eye on them.
Dr Oz: Jorge Cruise’s Portobello Pizzas Recipe Ingredients
For all the pizza lovers out there, a personal pan pizza is 760 calories for a small little pizza. Instead of eating that, instead you can eat mini portobello pizzas that don’t use wheat or flour and are full of nutrients. You can put whatever protein you want on the pizzas, and they’re only 65 calories each. Cruise said it’s about swapping the carbs, because mushrooms are a smart carb, as opposed to the unhealthy pizza crust with hidden sugar calories.
- Large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp marinara sauce per slice
- Grilled chicken
- Part-skim mozzarella cheese
Jorge Cruise: Dr Oz Portobello Pizzas Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the slices of portobello mushrooms on a lined sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the oven and top them with marinara sauce and as much basil, arugula, grilled chicken and part-skim mozzarella cheese as you’d like to each slice.
- Place the slices back into the oven for 15-18 minutes.
Dr Oz: Jorge Cruise’s BBQ Zucchini Chips Recipe Ingredients
If you like to munch on chips, a small bowl is around 305 calories. Instead, you can snack on zucchini chips, which are sliced thin and seasoned. You can eat five cups of zucchini chips 110 calories.
- 5 C zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed powder
Dr Oz: Jorge Cruise’s BBQ Zucchini Chips Recipe Directions
- Lay thinly sliced zucchini slices out evenly on sheets of paper towel then sprinkle the tops of each lightly with salt.
- Use no more than ¼ teaspoon total for all the slices.
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees and allow the slices to sit for approximately 10 minutes.
- This will help draw out the liquid from the slices so they’ll cook faster and help with their crispiness.
- After the 10 minutes, blot the slices with additional paper towel to remove the excess moisture.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, lay out the slices evenly on the sheet.
- Sprinkle the tops with your seasonings of choice. Don’t use too much, since you already salted the slices and they will shrink when baking.
- Bake in the oven for about 2 hours or until they’ve reached your desired crispiness.
- Remove from oven and let cool, then serve.
Dr Oz: Jorge Cruise’s Apple Pie Popcorn Recipe Ingredients
Finally, they wanted to talk about desserts. There are 411 calories in one slice of apple pie, whereas you can season popcorn with apple pie spice and eat 8 cups is only 250 calories.
- 8 C air-popped popcorn
- Apple pie spice, to taste
Dr Oz: Jorge Cruise’s Apple Pie Popcorn Recipe Directions
- Pop the popcorn and sprinkle with apple pie spice.