Today Show: The Grilling Book Review
Adam Rappaport, editor of The Grilling Book, came by the Today Show May 14 2013 to give us a few grilling ideas for summer with fish fillet packets with cherry tomatoes, squash and basil and tuna kebabs with ginger-chile marinade.
Today Show: Tuna Kebabs With Ginger-Chile Marinade Recipe
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peeled ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 serrano chile, seeded, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. 1-inch thick ahi tuna, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- Vegetable oil for brushing
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large sweet onion (such as Maui or Vidalia), cut into 1-inch squares
Adam Rappaport: Tuna Kebabs With Ginger-Chile Marinade Directions
- Cut tuna into cubes before marinating so seasonings can fully penetrate.
- You can also use the marinade when serving whole seared tuna fillets.
- Whisk first 7 ingredients and 1 tablespoon cilantro in a medium bowl to blend.
- Season to taste with white pepper.
- Transfer 3 tablespoons marinade to a small bowl and set aside
- Add tuna to remaining marinade in medium bowl and toss to coat.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 45 minutes.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high.
- Brush grill grate with oil.
- Alternate tuna cubes, bell pepper squares and onion squares on each of 6 metal skewers.
- Grill, turning frequently, to desired doneness, about 4 minutes total for medium-rare.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Drizzle reserved marinade over; sprinkle with cilantro.
Today Show: Fish Fillet Packets With Cherry Tomatoes, Squash & Basil Recipe
- 2 cups assorted summer squash, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced, plus 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 6-ounce skinless white flaky fish fillets (such as Atlantic cod or halibut)
Adam Rappaport: Fish Fillet Packets With Cherry Tomatoes, Squash & Basil Directions
- Fold 4 24×12-inch pieces of heavy-duty foil in half crosswise.
- Open foil and place on a work surface.
- Divide squash among pieces of foil, arranging in layers on 1/2 of each piece of foil.
- Sprinkle shallots and sliced basil over, dividing equally.
- Scatter tomato halves around squash.
- Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon wine and ½ tablespoon oil.
- Add ½ tablespoon water to each packet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a fish fillet atop each portion of vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle ½ tablespoon oil over each fillet.
- Fold and crimp edges of foil to seal packages. (Can be made 4 hours ahead.)
- Chill. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before continuing.
- Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Place packets on grill grate.
- Grill until fish is just cooked through (a toothpick poked through the foil will slide through fish easily), about 10 minutes.
- Carefully cut open packets (steam will escape).
- Garnish with basil leaves.