Today Show: Bobby Deen’s Pot Roasted Turkey Recipe
Paula Deen can go a little heavy on the calories with some of her dishes, but thankfully her health conscious son Bobby Deen has taken his mother’s recipes and changed them just a bit to make them more healthy and just as tasty. In his new cookbook, From Mama’s Table to Mine, Deen takes some of his mother’s best recipes, like her pot roasted turkey recipe, and knocks off hundreds of calories.
He stopped by the Today Show to give everyone a dinner recipe they are going to want to make tonight. Check out the recipes below for a pot roasted turkey recipe, an artichoke and spinach dip recipe and a red velvet cake recipe.
Bobby Deen Pot Roasted Turkey Recipe
Bobby Deen Pot Roasted Turkey Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 boneless turkey breast (2 pounds), tied
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Bobby Dean Pot Roasted Turkey Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Season the turkey all over with salt and pepper and add to the pot. Brown the turkey on all sides and set on a plate.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about three minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, orange juice and rosemary and bring to a boil. Return the turkey to the pot, cover, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Stir the squash into the pot, coating it well with all the juices. Cover and continue to bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the turkey reads 160 degrees, another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Set the turkey on a carving board and tent loosely with foil. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the squash to a bowl and cover with foil.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add to the Dutch oven and bring the gravy to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Season the gravy with salt and pepper.
- Slice the turkey and place on a serving platter with the squash alongside. Pass the gravy in a sauceboat at the table.
Before/after: Fat 35g / 7g; Calories 1,200 / 244
Bobby Deen Artichoke and Spinach Dip Recipe
Bobby Deen Artichoke and Spinach Dip Ingredients:
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Veggie sticks or healthy crackers, for dipping
Bobby Deen Artichoke and Spinach Dip Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 1 ½-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the artichokes, spinach, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan, the yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic and pepper to taste. Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until golden and bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes.
Before/after: Fat 31g / 4g; Calories 650 / 86
Bobby Deen Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Bobby Deen Red Velvet Cake Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup 1% buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 6 ounces low-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
- 1∕3 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Bobby Deen Red Velvet Cake Directions:
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, applesauce, egg and egg white. Whisk in the buttermilk, oil, vanilla and vinegar. Whisk the flour mixture into the batter, then whisk in the food coloring.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack, then invert it onto a serving plate.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld mixer, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Spread the frosting over the cake, cut the cake into slices, and serve.
Before/after: Fat 16g / 7g; Calories 311 / 199