Today Show: Holiday Baking
Juliana Evans from Orlando, Florida, shared her Outrageous Chocolate Holiday Cookies as part of Today Show’s search for the best and most festive cookie recipes. Other finalists were Santa’s Hat Cookies and Snowflake Cookies. When it comes to cookies, I don’t think there are any losers.
“There’s a secret inside,” she promised. Al Roker called it “a cookie within a cookie.” After some debate among the judges, this cookie was named the winner, and Juliana made sure to collect a kiss from Al as part of her prize package.
Today Show: Outrageous Chocolate Holiday Cookies Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Margarine
- 1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup melted Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 package Sandwich Cookies
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Dipping Chocolate
- crushed Candy Canes
Today Show: Outrageous Chocolate Holiday Cookies Recipe Directions
- Place the sandwich cookies in your freezer for about 15 minutes. Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- Melt one cup of chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals; reserve.
- Beat margarine with a mixer until it is smooth. Add sugars and stir.
- Add melted chocolate, pudding mix, egg, and vanilla.
- Stir in baking soda with salt and flour.
- Scoop 1 tbsp portions of dough into balls.
- Remove sandwich cookies from the freezer. Flatten a ball of dough in your palm and place the frozen cookie on top in the center. Cover it with another wafer cookie, flattening to create a sandwich.
- Roll the dough in your hands to get it back into a ball shape.
- Repeat the steps and arrange half a dozen cookies 2” apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool on the sheet for five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Melt dipping chocolate according to package directions.
- Dip half a cooled cookie into the melted chocolate and sprinkle it with candy cane pieces. Let dry on parchment paper until set.