Today Show: Burger Battle Winner
Today Show viewers have shared their favorite burger recipes, and three finalists shared their secret ingredients on the show. Judging the entries was celebrity chef Giada De Laurentiis. She chose the Hot Mess Burger as the winner, but you can check out all three recipes.
The finalists were:
- LJ Washington from California
- Lance Radermacher from South Carolina
- Laurie Figone from California
Today Show: Boyfriend Burger Recipe
LJ said that she called her recipe the Boyfriend Burger because “once your boyfriend tastes it, you’ll get a ring on your finger within an hour.” However, LJ is currently single. Hopefully that is not a reflection on the burger.
Boyfriend Burger Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup Stuffing Mix
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 cup Parsley
- 1 cup Celery, diced
- 1/2 cup Green Onion, chopped
- 1 Egg
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 lb Ground Pork Sausage
- 2/3 cup Red Wine
- 4 tsp Olive Oil
- 4 tsp Crab Boil
- 4 tsp Hot Sauce
- 4 tsp Marjoram
- 4 tsp Creole Seasoning
- 4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 4 tsp Onion Powder
- 4 tsp Italian Seasoning
Sweet Potato Crispies Ingredients
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, shredded
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil
Today Show Boyfriend Burger Directions
- Form burger ingredients into patties and cook on the grill.
- Fry sweet potatoes on medium high. Drain and season with salt.
LJ recommended topping the burger with blue cheese, mixing cranberries and apples into coleslaw, and preparing mushroom onion gravy, all to top off the burger.
Today Show: Hot Mess Burger Recipe Ingredients
Lance said that his “triple decker hamburger…puts all five of your senses on alert.” His burger uses three thin patties and a trio of cheeses layered with ingredients.
- 3/4 lb Ground Sirloin (formed into 3 patties)
- 3 slices Avocado
- Sweet Onion
- 3 slices Tomato
- Jalapeno Slices
- 2 slices American Cheese
- 1 slice Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
- Salt & Pepper
Today: Hot Mess Burger Recipe Directions
- Press patties thinly and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate patties for an hour while heating the grill.
- Sear patties on the grill and cook to desired temperature.
- Add cheeses to the patties; cook and cover another minute.
- Prepare bun with desired condiments.
- Top first American cheese patty with lettuce, onion, and jalapeno.
- Add Pepper Jack patty and top with cilantro and avocado.
- Add the third patty with another layer of lettuce, onion, and jalapeno.
- Top with tomato and remaining bun before serving.
Today Show: Pizza Burger Recipe Ingredients
Laurie combined two of her favorite foods: pizza and burgers. The burgers are grilled on pizza dough!
- Pizza dough
- 1 lb 90% lean Ground BEef
- 1/3 cup Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Black Olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 4 oz Camembert Cheese
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 oz Anchovy Fillets
- 1/2 cup Oregano
- 1/2 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
Today: Pizza Burger Recipe Directions
- Combine olive oil for burgers with ground beef, peppers, olives, and seasonings.
- Divide meat into four equal patties.
- Top two patties with Camembert, and cover with the two remaining patties.
- Press down on meat to seal edges. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut pizza dough into four equal balls.
- Combine dressing ingredients (except olive oil) in a food processor until well mixed.
- Add dressing mixture to olive oil and reserve.
- Heat a grill to 400. Cook room temperature patties for about five minutes.
- Flip and cook five more minutes. Reserve burgers and keep warm.
- Form dough into circles about 5” in diameter.
- Cook dough covered on hot grill until browned on the bottom.
- Flip and spread with a layer of dressing.
- Close lid and cook until dressing bubbles and dough is done.
- Place two of the cooked patties on one cooked dough.
- Top with another pizza dough, dressing side down.
- The cheese will ooze out when you eat these!