Today Show: Cooking with Giada
Giada De Laurentiis was in Today’s Kitchen with Matt Lauer to make a Vegetable Parmesan Casserole on Today Show. For another recipe idea, try her Baked Pesto Pasta Casserole.
She added some Italian flair to fall casseroles. Giada said it’s convenient to prepare these a day ahead of time, especially if you are entertaining or have a busy schedule. They are a great way to make use of leftovers, and “cheese is the secret."
Her process is to layer the vegetables throughout the casserole. What do you think of Giada’s methods?
Today Show: Giada De Laurentiis Vegetable Parmesan Casserole Recipe Ingredients
- 2 peeled, sliced Red Onions
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, in thirds
- 3 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup plain Breadcrumbs
- 2 Zucchini, in 1/3" slices
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, in thirds
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, in thirds
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 cup room temperature Unsalted Butter
- 3 1/2 cups room temperature Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Flour
- Zest of 2 Lemons
Giada De Laurentiis: Today Show Vegetable Parmesan Casserole Recipe Directions
- Make the sauce. Melt butter on medium in a saucepan. Whisk in flour for a couple minutes, until smooth.
- Slowly add milk, whisking to avoid lumps.
- Mix in lemon zest and simmer, whisking constantly, for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Put a grill pan on medium high heat. Put an oven rack in the center position and preheat to 375 F.
- Use butter to grease a 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Toss zucchini, onion, and pepper pieces in olive oil; salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables for three or four minutes per side (or bake them for 15-20 minutes, until soft).
- Spoon 3/4 cup sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of zucchini slices next. Top with 1 cup mozzarella and 1/3 cup Parmesan.
- Place a single layer of mixed peppers next.
- Add another layer of 3/4 cup cream sauce, followed by 1 cup mozzarella and 1/3 cup Parmesan.
- Top with onion and the leftover sauce.
- Sprinkle any remaining cheeses on top. Finish with breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.