Today Show: Giada De Laurentiis Mascarpone and Lemon Gnocchi
The crowd in Miami wasn’t all for the Today Show the hosts admitted. The 12th annual South Beach Wine and Food Festival, presented by the Food Network, is taking place this weekend and the Food Network sent one of their stars, Giada De Laurentiis, down to Miami to show the Today Show hosts a few new recipes.
De Laurentiis said Miami is the best place in the world for foodies this time of the year because there is beautiful weather and you can eat and drink right on the beach, and she is making it that much better with two delicious recipes.
To help everyone satisfy their hunger, De Laurentiis showed the Today Show how to make a mascarpone and lemon gnocchi recipe and a chocolate and cherry tart recipe for dessert. Get both recipes below and don’t forget to stop back at Recapo to let us know what they taste like after you make them at home.
Giada De Laurentiis Mascarpone and Lemon Gnocchi Recipe
Giada De Laurentiis Mascarpone and Lemon Gnocchi Ingredients:
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for forming the gnocchi
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Giada De Laurentiis Mascarpone and Lemon Gnocchi Directions:
For the Gnocchi:
- In a large bowl, combine the mascarpone cheese, egg, egg yolk, nutmeg, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese and salt. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about one minute. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup flour until the mixture becomes a soft dough.
- Sprinkle a pie pan with flour. Using two small spoons, drop teaspoon-sized pieces of dough onto the pie pan. Shake the pan gently to cover the dough with flour. Gently roll the pieces of dough into oval shapes.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a simmer. In batches, carefully add the gnocchi. The gnocchi should sink and then float to the top. As soon as the gnocchi begin to float, cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and place in a large serving bowl.
For the Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, warm the oil and salt over medium-high heat for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the basil. Let the mixture sit for five minutes to blend flavors.
- Add the sauce and cheese to the gnocchi and gently toss until coated.
Giada De Laurentiis Cherry and Chocolate Tart Recipe
- Butter for greasing the pan
- 8 (4 1/2-inch-long) plain or almond biscotti cookies (5 1/2 ounces), coarsely broken
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, chilled
- 1/4 packed cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cherry preserves or jam
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped, shelled pistachio nuts
Giada De Laurentiis Cherry and Chocolate Tart Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9-inch springform pan.
For the Crust:
- In a processor, combine the biscotti, butter and sugar. Blend until the mixture forms moist crumbs that stick together when pressed. Firmly press the crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes. Spread the cherry preserve over the cooled crust leaving a 1/2 to 1-inch border.
For the Filling:
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl. In a medium saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat to just below a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the dried cherries and 1/2 cup pistachios. Pour the chocolate filling over the cherry preserves and sprinkle the remaining pistachios on top. Refrigerate for at least five hours or preferably overnight.
- Loosen the tart from the sides of the pan by running a thin metal spatula around the edge. Unmold the tart and transfer to a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.