Today Show: Giada De Laurentiis
Giada De Laurentiis showed Matt Lauer how to make some delicious dinners like her Baked Pesto Pasta Casserole Recipe on Today Show. You can also try her Vegetable Parmesan Casserole.
Lots of color and creamy goodness can help revive casseroles from their bad reputation. Preparing a casserole in a glass baking dish lets everyone see the layers of the ingredients.
Today Show: Leftovers Casserole Ingredient Options
You can use whatever pasta or vegetables you want, which is why casseroles are so great for making use of leftovers. Giada said she loves different colors and textures in her casserole layers.
“If you were doing a dinner party, you could do two casseroles. Prep them the day before, bake them, [add] a salad, and you’re done," Giada suggested. You can also mix up the cheese, which acts as a binding agent; choose your favorite cheeses so your family or guests will enjoy it.
Today Show: Giada De Laurentiis Baked Pesto Pasta Casserole Recipe Ingredients
- 1 lb Penne Rigate
- 2 minced Shallots
- 1 cup Basil Pesto
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- 3/4 lb dark meat Turkey
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter, in 1/4" pieces
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Giada De Laurentiis: Today Show Baked Pesto Pasta Casserole Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 350 F.
- Butter a 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Boil a pot of heavily salted water on medium high.
- Cook pasta to al dente, about 11 minutes.
- Drain pasta and save about one cup of the cooking water.
- Heat olive oil on medium high in a skillet.
- Cook shallots for one minute, until soft and fragrant.
- Cook turkey, using a wooden spoon to crumble it as it browns; salt and pepper.
- Toss pasta with pesto and reserved water.
- Transfer half the pesto to the bottom of the pan.
- Place half the cooked turkey over the first pasta layer in the dish.
- Sprinkle half the Parmesan over the turkey.
- Top with second layers of pesto pasta, marinara, and cheese.
- Drizzle with butter and bake 40 minutes, until heated through and golden brown.