Today’s Kitchen: Makaronia Tou Fournou
Chef Helen Tsanos Sheinman, the author of Love Laughter and Lunch, shared a Greek comfort food recipe for Makaronia Tou Fournou with Al Roker on Today. He said that kids love pasta dishes, which make great meals at any age.
Helen recommended talking to your food as you prepare it. The sauce could make a great start for some macaroni and cheese. As for the protein, you can substitute beef or chicken if you aren’t a fan of lamb or can’t find it at your grocery store.
Today: Makaronia Tou Fournou Recipe
If you’re looking for a Greek twist on a classic American comfort food, you have to try this macaroni casserole recipe featured on the Today Show. With unique cheese, a fabulous sauce and the unique use of Lamb as a protein, this is one tasty pasta concoction.
Ingredients – Meat
- 1 ½ pounds Lamb
- 1 Onion, chopped
- ½ cup White Wine (dry)
- ½ cup Oil
- 1 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tomato Paste
- Salt & Pepper
Ingredients – Bechamel Sauce
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ cup Flour
- 5 cups Milk
- 3-4 Cups Halloumi Cheese, grated
- 4 Egg Yolks
Ingredients – Pasta
- 1 ½ pounds Macaroni Noodles
- 1 cup Halloumi Cheese, grated
- Dry Mint
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Directions – Meat
- Fry meat in oil using frying pan. Add onions and stir until soft.
- When meat is lightly browned, add wine and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Directions – Sauce
- Warm the milk in a pan.
- Separately, melt butter in a pan, stirring flour in slowly.
- As mixture becomes pasty, slowly add milk, stirring constantly until creamy.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.
Directions – Pasta
- Prepare Macaroni according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spoon cooked pasta into a prepared baking dish.
- Drizzle sauce atop pasta, spreading as evenly as possible.
- Top with a layer browned meat mixture and an additional layer of sauce.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold.
For more great Greek meals, check out Helen’s cookbook, Love Laughter and Lunch.