Today Show: Cory Vitiello’s Mother’s Day Recipes
Chef Cory Vitiello came by Today to show us some easy recipes to make for our mothers on Mother’s Day. He joked that his mother was watching and that she was probably getting mad at him, because he hasn’t cooked for her for 15 years. He said it was because he’s always working on Mother’s Day. Cory Vitello said that Natalie Morales should sit back, since she’s a mother. Instead, he asked for guest co-anchor Billy Bush’s help. “Nobody knows this, but Natalie is my mother,” Billy Bush said. Did the most robotic man on television just make a good joke?
Cory Vitiello Cheesy Polenta and Prawns Recipe
Cory Vitiello said the key to this meal was using real polenta. He said that instant polenta is cheap, but it also tastes cheap. “It’s Mother’s Day, come on, people,” Vitiello said.
Cory Vitiello Cheesy Polenta and Prawns Ingredients:
For the Polenta:
- 1 cup whole grain, medium grind cornmeal
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 liter chicken broth (may require more throughout cooking)
- 1 tbsp cold butter
- 2 sprigs chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Cracked pepper
For the Prawns:
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp (13/15 size)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 pound asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon good quality white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Today Show Cheesy Polenta and Prawns Directions:
- For the polenta: in a medium sized pot, over low heat, add broth, cornmeal and salt. Let cook for about an hour and a half, until it’s the consistency of oatmeal.
- Stir in the butter, lemon, cheese and cracked pepper.
- For the prawns: dry shrimp on paper towels and season well with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook shrimp in single layer in a large skillet over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook one minute on each side and remove to a plate.
- Add remaining olive oil, garlic and tomato. Cook for one minute, until the tomato juices start to evaporate. Add wine, vinegar and asparagus. Cook for one more minute, until the asparagus is cooked but still crisp.
- Add shrimp back in, with basil.
- Serve over the polenta. Garnish with olive oil, basil leaves and shaved parmesan.
Cory Vitiello White Sangria With Gin and Cucumber
Everyone really seemed to enjoy this drink. Billy Bush said he was going to numb his mom with the alcohol first before serving her his horrible cooking. It sounds like Natalie Morales is in for an interesting weekend.
Cory Vitiello White Sangria With Gin and Cucumber Ingredients:
- 375 mL Moscato or other sweet white wine
- 60 mL gin
- 60 mL Triple Sec orange liqueur
- 30 mL fresh lime juice
- 180 mL sparkling water
- 4 lime wheels
- 2 sliced peaches
- 8 slices of cucumber
- 5 green grapes (cut in half)
- 5 mint leaves
Today Show White Sangria With Gin and Cucumber Directions:
- Add ice to pitcher.
- Add all ingredients on top and let chill.