Today Show: Chef Lala Fresh Tortilla Recipe
Chef Lala came by Today May 2 2013 to make some delicious fresh tortillas. Chef Lala said she loved tortillas when she was growing up in Mexico. Al Roker said that earlier, off-camera, he asked her if she could just buy store bought, and she “took my head off.” Chef Lala said it’s like bread. You can buy it from the store, but fresh bread is so much better.
Chef Lala Fresh Tortilla Ingredients:
- 2 cups corn masa flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups of water
Chef Lala Fresh Tortilla Directions:
- Combine corn masa flour, water and salt, and mix complete to form a dough, for about two minutes. If the dough is too dry, add water one tablespoon at a time.
- Divide the dough into 16 balls and cover with a damp cloth. Line two sheets of plastic wrap into a tortilla press. Place each ball between the plastic wrap and press until they are 5 to 6 inches in diameter.
- Cook tortillas one at a time for 50 seconds on a preheated ungreased griddle, comal or skillet on medium high heat. Flip and cook the other side for 50 seconds.
Chef Lala Tequila Chicken Recipe
Okay, so you’ve got your tortillas. Now, it’s time to fill them with some delicious chicken. I’ve never heard the words “tequila” and “chicken” together in the same recipe, but now that I have, I would like to make some tacos and try this chicken out.
Chef Lala Tequila Chicken Ingredients:
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 tablespoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Chef Lala Tequila Chicken Directions:
- Combine everything in a plastic zip-lock bag and shake together.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and drain.
- Cook chicken on a large nonstick pan for five minutes on each side over medium high heat. The chicken is done when the juice flows clear.
Chef Lala Pumpkin Seed Sauce Recipe
Okay, here’s where it gets interesting. You have your fresh tortillas and your tequila chicken. But what about a sauce? Why not try Chef Lala’s pumpkin seed sauce? I’ve never heard of pumpkin seed sauce, either, but it looked amazing.
Chef Lala Pumpkin Seed Sauce Ingredients:
- 5 large tomatoes, roasted and peeled
- 1/2 pound pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 chile habanero
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Sea salt to taste
Chef Lala Pumpkin Seed Sauce Directions:
- Puree tomatoes in a blender and then transfer to a bowl.
- Place everything else into a blender and puree until smooth, then add to bowl. Add cilantro, season with salt, and mix ingredients together.