Today: Fat Girls In Bikinis
A 25-year-old fashion blogger, Gabi Gregg, is rejecting society’s notions of beauty, and she says she’s overwhelmed by the positive reaction to the plus size Bikini Vacation photos she posted on her blog.
Gabi Gregg’s two-piece photos from a recent vacation have inspired other women to follow suit and feel comfortable in their skin. She shared her story with the Today Show.
This is the second summer that Gabi has promoted positive body image, and this year she worked with XOJane.com to create a gallery of plus size women showing off their Bikini Bodies.
Today: Gabi Gregg Fat-Kini Gallery Review
“I reallyI think it’s about empowering women, and I think so often in the media, all we see is thin women in bikinis,” Gabi Gregg said. “And I really wanted to challenge that and say, ‘They’re not the only ones.’ …I think all women are beautiful, but I think we should see all types of bodies in swimwear.”
Today: Does Fat-Kini Gallery Promote Obesity?
Gabi Gregg said her readers and fans were supportive of the project, and she credits her family and friends for instilling her with confidence. “I think we should reject these fashion rules about what we are and what we are not allowed to wear,” she said.
As for the critics who say the campaign promotes obesity, Gabi said that people have to be comfortable with the reality of their bodies, “regardless of where we are in our journey to health.”
She said she’s focused on health, but she’s happy with her body’s size and shape. “I just believe personally that my measure for health is how good I feel,” Gabi Gregg said, encouraging everyone to think about what they put in their bodies.
Gabi Gregg said she chose high-waisted swimwear that is flattering to her figure.
Today’s Headlines: Romney Wins Texas
Here are some of the stories making headlines for May 30 2012:
- Mitt Romney’s Texas primary win gives him enough delegates to secure the Republican Presidential nomination. Romney fundraiser Donald Trump continues to question President Barack Obama’s citizenship.
- Jurors are in their eighth day of deliberations in the John Edwards trial, in a case questioning whether he misused campaign funds to cover up an affair and love child with his mistress.
- Facebook’s stock continues to drop, falling yesterday to $28 per share. Mark Zuckerberg is currently on his honeymoon in Italy with longtime girlfriend Priscilla Chan.
- England is preparing for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, and Kate Middleton is getting notice for wearing an expensive dress to two royal events in recent weeks.
- Serena Williams notched a surprising loss Tuesday in the first round of the French Open.
- Travel and Leisure magazine published a list of America’s worst dressed cities, with Anchorage, Alaska, topping the list. Salt Lake City and Baltimore round out the top three.
- A young student with cerebral palsy ran a 400 meter dash with his classmates during field day, and the inspirational video has gone viral.