Today’s Kitchen: Seamus Mullen’s Hero Food Review
Famous Seamus Mullen joins Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb in Today’s Kitchen to cook up some of his specialties from his new book, Seamus Mullen’s Hero Food: How Cooking with Delicious Things Makes Us Feel Better. Seamus Mullen cooked a Salt-Baked Carrots & Beets Recipe plus a Corn & Crab Recipe. And don’t miss out on his Pintxo Moruno Recipe and his Sangria Recipe!
Seamus Mullen: Crab & Corn Salad Recipe
- 4 ears white sweet corn, shucked
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked through to remove bits of shell
- Handful Sun Gold tomatoes or other cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, skin on, halved and sliced into half-moons
- 1/4 cup pickled shallots
- 1 avocado, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Aleppo pepper
- Handful fresh basil leaves, torn into large pieces
- Leaves of 1 branch fresh tarragon, torn into pieces
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Blanch the corn for 2 minutes. Cut the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, vinegar and garlic and mix well, then whisk in the olive oil.
- Fold in the corn, crabmeat, tomatoes, cucumber, pickled shallots and avocado and carefully mix together.
- Season with salt, black pepper and Aleppo pepper and finish with the torn herbs.
Seamus Mullen: Salt-Baked Carrots & Beets Recipe
- 1 pound kosher salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 branches fresh rosemary
- 2 branches fresh thyme
- 1 bunch small carrots, trimmed
- 1 bunch small beets, trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan, combine the kosher salt, lemon zest, pink and black peppercorns, rosemary and thyme and mix thoroughly. Add the carrots and beets and cover completely with the salt.
- Bake until the veggies are cooked through and tender, 20–30 minutes depending on the size of the vegetables.
- Once thoroughly cooked, remove from the oven and scrape off the skin using a dish towel or the back of a paring knife.