Kathie Lee & Hoda: Today’s Kitchen
Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb are joined by Jenny Levison, author of the new cookbok, Souper Jenny Does Salads: Atlanta’s Soup Diva Shares her Favorite Salad Recipes, as she shares some recipes for salads and dressings for the upcoming salad season this summer.
Jenny Levison: Raw Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad Recipe
- 2 bunches tuscan kale, center stem discarded, julienned
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 cup grated parmesan or asiago
- 1 cup Cafe Jonah’s Fresh Lemon Dressing (see recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toast chopped almonds for about 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Set aside and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine kale, brussels sprouts, parmesan and almonds.
- Slowly toss with dressing a little at a time until you have the desired amount.
Jenny Levison: Red Quinoa with Sundried Cherries, Kale, Edamame, and Ginger Vinaigrette
Ingredients for Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons cherry or apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 shallot , peeled
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for Salad
- 2 cups red quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups Lacinto kale, leaves removed from ribs, julienned
- 1 cup shelled, cooked edamame
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- To make the vinaigrette, put vinegar, jam, ginger and shallot in a blender and whirl, slowly adding oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- For the salad, bring 4 cups of water and 2 cups quinoa to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Check quinoa. It should be firm, but cooked through.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, kale, scallions, edamame, cherries and almonds.
- Slowly add dressing and combine until well mixed.