Kathie Lee & Hoda: Joy-Ful Cook Off – Healthy Lasagna Recipes
For the past week, Kathie Lee and Hoda have been urging fans to send in their favorite homemade and healthy lasagna recipes for a chance to get their recipe featured on the Today Show website. Well after trying all the different recipes, Joy Bauer picked her three favorites and brought all three chefs on the show to discuss their healthy lasagna recipes.
Gale Compton was one of the finalists with her skinny lasagna rolls recipe. The recipe stood out from the others because it was made with cottage cheese to cut back on the calorie count, there was lots of spinach for extra nutrition and each of the rolls was already portion controlled. Stacy was the second contestant to be chosen for her Italian stallion healthy lasagna. Her lasagna recipe cut out a lot of carbs by getting rid of the noodles and replacing them with eggplant slices. Stacy said she also fills the lasagna with a lot of vegetables and lean ground turkey because her husband loves a hearty meal. And at only 260 calories per serving, it is going to keep him trim as well.
The final lasagna recipe was made by Julie who made an all-vegan lasagna. Her lasagna recipe had no dairy or gluten and the vegetables were all layered on the lasagna with corn tortillas, avocados and coconut milk. She said each serving of the vegan lasagna is only 160 calories.
In the end, Kathie Lee and Hoda decided they liked Gale Compton’s recipe the best. You can check it out below.
Gale Compton Skinny Lasagna Rolls Recipe
Gale Compton Skinny Lasagna Rolls Ingredients:
- 10 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked to al dente
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce, no sugar added.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups baby spinach, loosely packed and finely chopped
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim, shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Gale Compton Skinny Lasagna Rolls Directions:
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add 1 1/4 cups marinara to a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, add oil and heat to medium-low heat. Sauté garlic for one minute. Add finely chopped spinach and continue sautéing until wilted.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine garlic, spinach, ricotta, one cup mozzarella, cottage cheese, egg white, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Next, arrange lasagna noodles flat, add 1/4 cup cheese and spinach mixture to each noodle, spread evenly to cover noodles. Start rolling the noodle at the end closest to you. Place lasagna rolls seam side down, not quite touching, in the prepared casserole dish. Evenly spread one cup marinara over rolls, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.