Bobby Deen: From Mama’s Table to Mine Book Review
Everyone knows that Southern cook Paula Deen’s recipes are delicious, but many of them are high in calories and fat. That’s why her son, Bobby Deen, is giving his mom’s classic recipes a modern, healthy update with his new book From Mama’s Table to Mine. Each recipe in the book is under 350 calories per serving, so the dishes are not only delicious, but also diet-friendly!
Bobby Deen Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Shepherd’s pie is something that you may not think could be friendly to your waistline, however, Bobby totally proved us wrong! Take a look at the Bobby Deen shepherd’s pie recipe.
Bobby Deen’s Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and cut Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2∕3 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
Kathie Lee & Hoda Shepherd’s Pie Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain and and mash with the milk, butter, ½ teaspoon of the salt and pepper.
- For the meat mixture, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions and carrots about 5-10 minutes, until soft. Then cook turkey, breaking the meat with a fork, until browned (about 5 to 7 minutes). Season with rosemary, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the tomato paste and chicken broth, then let simmer for 5 minutes. Finally, stir in the peas.
- Scrape the cooked meat mixture into an 1 1/2-quart baking dish that is ungreased. Top with the mashed potato mixture. Bake for 30 minutes until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.