Kathie Lee & Hoda: Rachel Allen Irish Coddle Recipe
Kathie Lee and Hoda want to make sure they are prepared for St. Patrick’s Day so they brought on chef Rachel Allen, author of Rachel’s Irish Family Food, to show them how to make some great Irish comfort foods. Keep scrolling to see three delicious Irish recipes like the Irish coddle recipe.
Today Show Irish Coddle Recipe
Today Show Irish Coddle Ingredients:
- 12 ounces potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
- 8 ounces breakfast sausages, each cut into 4 pieces
- 2 1/2 cups leftover bacon cooking liquid, chicken stock or water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 ounces leftover boiled or fried bacon, torn or cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
Today Show Irish Coddle Directions:
- Put the potato, onion and sausages in a large saucepan and add the bacon cooking water. Add a little salt and pepper. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the cooked bacon and cook for another few minutes. Stir in the parsley, season to taste and serve immediately.
Today Show Irish Porter Cake Recipe
Today Show Irish Porter Cake Ingredients:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (mixed spice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 pound golden raisins (sultanas) or raisins or a mixture of both
- 3 ounces chopped candied peel
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle porter or stout
Today Show Irish Porter Cake Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the sides and bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan with waxed and greaseproof paper. Make sure the pan has high sides to allow the cake to rise.
- Pour the flour, nutmeg, spice, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter, the brown sugar, raisins and candied peel and mix everything.
- Whisk the eggs in another bowl and add the porter. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for two hours. If the cake starts to brown too quickly on top, cover it with aluminum foil after about one hour. The cake is done when a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to sit in the pan for about 20 minutes before turning it out and cooling it on a wire rack.
Today Show Irish Coffee Recipe
Today Show Irish Coffee Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 shot whiskey
- Hot coffee
- Softly whipped cream
Today Show Irish Coffee Directions:
- Pour the whiskey into a cup and stir in the brown sugar.
- Top off with coffee, leaving about a 1/2 inch space from the rim of the cup to the top of the coffee. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Dip a spoon into hot water, then use that spoon to add the cream to the coffee. The hot spoon makes the cream gently slide off.