Kathie Lee & Hoda: Healthy, Slimming One Dish Meals
On Kathie Lee and Hoda’s Joyful Cook-Off segment, three finalists were chosen to show off their favorite recipes for healthy and slimming one dish meals. These finalists were selected from the many recipes entered by fans and viewers. All three dishes clocked in at less than 400 calories, a perfect way to eat deliciously while slimming down. Try the Quinoa Paella Recipe.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Quinoa Paella
The first contestant was Jackie, with a paprika shrimp and sausage quinoa paella dish. Paella is typically made with rice, but Jackie swapped out the rice for a healthier, protein rich option, quinoa. The dish also included peppers, tomatoes, and shrimp, and cooks in only 20 minutes.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Thai Chicken and Couscous
The second contestant, Tina, presented the girls a Thai-inspired chicken and couscous dish. The dish included edamame as well as peanut butter, giving the couscous a sweet taste that is both healthy and kid-friendly. Joy pointed out that couscous can now be easily found in most mainstream grocery stores.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Halibut Fish Bake
The third contestant, Margie, cooked up a halibut fish bake that was easy to make but presented very elegantly. Instead of using starch in her fish bake, Margie opted to use white beans, a healthier option. The dish also had olives and a bottom layer of carmelized onion and fennel. Joy mentioned that the dish could also be made using cod instead of halibut, both are healthy fish choices.
Joyful Cook-Off Winner: Quinoa Paella Recipe
In the end, Kathie Lee and Hoda liked all three dishes, but chose Jackie’s quinoa paella dish because they loved the shrimp. Here is the winning recipe:
Quinoa Paella Ingredients
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and devined
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced pre-cooked low fat chicken sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 chopped large red bell pepper
- 1 chopped large yellow bell pepper
- 3 minced cloves garlic
- 1 chopped large beefsteak tomato
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Pinch saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsly, chopped
Quinoa Paella Recipe Directions
- Sprinkle sweet and smoked paprika and onion powder onto shrimp and toss to coat.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat and cook shrimp about 3 minutes on each side until seared. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add chicken sausage to skillet and cook until browned. Remove chicken sausage from pan and set aside.
- Cook onion and bell peppers in skillet and stir frequently until onions and peppers have softened (about 6 to 8 minutes.)
- Add garlic, tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until combined with onions and bell peppers.
- Add saffron, salt, pepper, chicken broth and peas and bring to a simmer. Evenly stir in quinoa until distributed. Add lid to the pan at a vent, adjusting heat to maintain a simmer. Cook without stirring for 15 to 17 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked through.
- Place shrimp and sausage on top, replace lid and cook for 1 minute or until shrimp and sausage is warmed.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.