Today’s Kitchen: Jamie Geller Rosh Hashanah
Kathie Lee & Hoda welcomed Jamie Geller, founder of The Joy of Kosher magazine, to Today’s Kitchen with a Rosh Hashanah menu to celebrate the Jewish New Year, which begins September 24. Try her Apple & Parsnip Soup and Chicken Thighs recipes.
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Jamie Geller Apple & Parsnip Soup Recipe
This soup is a great after-school snack for the kids, using seasonal fall ingredients.
- 2 peeled, sliced Shallots
- 4 peeled, cored, chopped Granny Smith Apples
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 lb peeled, cut Parsnips
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat oil in a soup pot on medium high.
- Saute shallots two minutes.
- Add parsnips and cook for three minutes.
- Mix in apple pieces and stir for a minute.
- Mix in the spices to coat the fruit and vegetables.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce and simmer 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Let soup cool.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Add more broth if needed.
- Return soup to the pot and simmer; salt and pepper before serving.
- Garnish with diced apple and olive oil.
Jamie Geller: Today Show Chicken Thighs Recipe with Roasted Fall Fruit Ingredients
Start on the stove and finish in the oven for restaurant-quality chicken at dinner.
- 4 bone-in, skin on Chicken Thighs
- 2 ripe, firm Pears (cored and sliced)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 cored, sliced Tart Apples
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 cup Red Grapes
- 1 tbsp Thyme leaves
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
Kathie Lee & Hoda: Jamie Geller Chicken Thighs with Roasted Fall Fruit Recipe Directions
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium high.
- Brown chicken about nine minutes per side.
- Remove and reserve chicken.
- Preheat oven at 400 F.
- Drain excess skillet grease.
- Saute apples with pears for about five minutes, until browned.
- Add garlic, cinnamon, mustard powder, and salt; saute one minute.
- Return chicken thighs to the skillet and add 1/2 cup stock.
- Bring to a boil. Transfer to preheated oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Add grapes and 1/4 cup stock, if needed; bake another 15 minutes.
- Garnish with balsamic vinegar and thyme; serve each thigh with one cup of roasted fruit.