The Talk Takeaway: Cooking
From the Mexican restaurant Casa Vega in California, Chef Christy Vega was in The Talk kitchen with some perfect Cinco De Mayo recipes. She showed the ladies how to make her Spinach Enchiladas Recipe and a Tostada Chiquita. You can wash it all down with a Cucumber Margarita.
The Talk: Christy Vega Spinach Enchiladas Recipe Ingredients
Tomatillos are a great antioxidant and they make a fantastic traditional salsa recipe passed down in Vega’s family.
- 12 oz Fresh Spinach
- 1 tbsp Onion, chopped
- 1/2 White Onion, sliced
- 8 Green Tomatillos
- 6 oz Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Cilantro
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 oz Sour Cream
- 2 cups Water
- Corn Tortillas
- 1 tsp Salt
The Talk Spinach Enchiladas Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat water in a pan with onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, water, and tomatillos. Boil for five minutes and remove from heat.
- Let stand five minutes off heat.
- Pour contents into a blender and combine.
- Add cilantro, avocado, and sour cream. Blend to mix well.
- In a clean pan, heat oil with chopped onion, cheese, and a small amount of tomatillo sauce.
- Cook up to three minutes. Add spinach and cook to dark green. Reserve.
- Heat tortillas in canola oil.
- Place a serving of spinach in the tortilla.
- Roll tortilla tight and cover with tomatillo sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese and bake just until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with avocado and sour cream. Serve with rice.
The Talk Tostada Chiquita Recipe Ingredients
- 4 Tostadas
- 2 cups Refried Beans
- 1/2 cup Chorizo, cooked
- 1/2 cup Beets, sliced
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Lettuce
- Vinaigrette Dressing
The Talk: Christy Vega Tostada Chiquita Recipe Directions
- Combine beans and chorizo in a bowl and mash the beans well.
- Add a layer of bean mixture on the bottom of a small serving plate.
- Place tostada in the beans on the plate.
- Add more bean mixture around the center of your tostada.
- Combine lettuce and vinaigrette in a bowl.
- Assemble layers of lettuce mix, tomatoes, beets, and cheese in each tostada.
The Talk Cucumber Margarita Recipe
Cucumber Margarita Ingredients
- 3 Cucumber slices
- 1 oz Silver Tequila
- 1 oz Agave Nectar
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- Soda Water
Cucumber Margarita Directions
- Muddle cucumber in a tall spirits glass.
- Add lime juice, agave, and tequila. Stir.
- Finish with ice and soda water to serve.