The Talk Takeaway: Italian Cooking
Nigella Lawson in an expert in the Italian language of love: cooking. Her latest cookbook is called Nigelissima, and she is also keeping busy as a judge on ABC’s reality cooking show The Taste. She made Valentine dishes including Beef Pizzaiola, Tuscan Fries, and Chocolate Pasta.
Nigella said she learned to speak Italian and moved to the country as a teenager. She found a boyfriend “and generally threw myself into being Italian with gusto.” She considers herself “a home cook, not a chef,” keeping things simple and delicious.
The Talk: Nigella Lawson Beef Pizzaiola Recipe
“The whole point about Valentine’s Day is that it’s not the kitchen you want to get hot and bothered in,” she said of her V Day menu.
She recommended using oil-cured olives to add some salty flavor to the dish.
The Talk Beef Pizzaiola Ingredients
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Anchovy Filets
- 12 oz. New York Strip, sliced thin
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 8 ounces Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Black Olives
- 2 tbsp Capers
- 2 tbsp Water
- 2 tbsp Sherry or Vermouth
Nigella Lawson Beef Pizzaiola Directions
- Warm oil in a pan large enough for your steaks.
- Fry steaks on high for 30 seconds per side to achieve medium-rare.
- Remove pan from heat and seal steaks in aluminum foil.
- Return pan to stove and stir in anchovy filets to break them up.
- Add remaining ingredients (except water) to the pan and cook about two minutes.
- Stir in water and cook for one minute.
- Retrieve steaks and plate them, pouring juices from foil back into pan.
- Pour pan contents over plated steaks and serve immediately, while still hot.
The Talk: Nigella Lawson Tuscan Fries Recipe
The Tuscan herbs give these fries a regional flair that is hard to turn down.
The Talk Tuscan Fries Ingredients
- 2 lb Red Potatoes
- 2 1/1 pints Vegetable Oil
- 8 sprigs Thyme
- 1 head Garlic
- Sea Salt
Nigella Lawson Tuscan Fries Directions
- Cut ends of potatoes and slice to about 1/2” fries. Then cut slices into chips or whatever shape you desire.
- Using a wide pan, add oil and potatoes on high and bring to a boil, about five minutes.
- Cook fries about 15 minutes, until oil is 325 F. Lower heat to cook fries not below 300 F.
- Carefully stir chips to ensure that none stick to the pan’s bottom.
- Add unpeeled garlic cloves, cooking another five to 10 minutes.
- Test for crispness to determine whether you should keep cooking.
- Once golden crisp, toss fries in the herb mix.
- Then remove from pan and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb extra oils.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve.
The Talk: Chocolate Pasta Recipe with Pecans and Caramel
You can also try a sweet-and-savory chocolate sauce for your pasta dish, which The Talk team said smelled very enticing. Which of these Valentine recipes sounds the best to you?
Nigella Lawson Chocolate Pasta Ingredients
- 4 oz. Chocolate Pasta
- 3 tbsp Butter, soft
- 1/2 cup Pecans, unsalted
- 1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 7 tbsp Heavy Cream
The Talk Chocolate Pasta Directions
- Boil water for pasta, adding salt to taste. Add pasta and cook for two minutes less than the package directions.
- Break pecans into pieces and toss them in a medium pan, toasting over medium until they become aromatic. Remove and reserve.
- Add butter and sugar to the pan to form a syrup. Then carefully add cream, stirring as it bubbles. Add pecans back in and remove from heat.
- Remove one cup water from pasta before draining.
- Drain pasta and add it to fry pan with caramel sauce, adding a little of the cooking water to help fully coat the pasta.
- Stir until well combined, and serve with extra cream on the side.