The Talk: Chef Lidia Bastianich
Guest host Donny Osmond and Julie Chen were in the kitchen with Chef Lidia Bastianich, who shared advice on easy Easter recipes like Seared Lamb Chops and a Chocolate Bread Parfait, and a review of her children’s book, Nonna’s Birthday Surprise.
The Talk: Nonna’s Birthday Surprise Review
You can see more of the chef on her PBS series Lidia’s Italy In America. She also has a new children’s book, Nonna’s Birthday Surprise.
She named the children in her book after her own grandchildren, and she used the book to tell a story about her idyllic relationship with fresh seasonal foods.
The kids’ book also includes recipes that even kids can follow along with.
The Talk: Seared Lamb Chops Recipe Ingredients
- 3 lb Rib Lamb Chops
- 1 tbsp Rosemary
- 3 cloves Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
The Talk: Lidia Bastianich Lamb Chops Directions
- Toss chops in combined ingredients and let marinate. Leave at room temperature for no longer than two hours. Alternately, refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Heat a cast iron pan on high. Add a single layer of chops, and do not overcrowd.
- Cook chops until browned, turning once. This takes about three minutes. (Add additional time for well done chops.)
The Talk: Lidia Bastianich Cherry Mustard Sauce
You can serve the chops with Lidia’s Cherry Mustard Sauce recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups Dry Cherries
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 3 tbsp White Mustard Seeds
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Combine ingredients, except cherries, in a pot.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cherries and cook another 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves before serving with lamb chops.
The Talk Side Dish: Scafatta Recipe
- 1 cup Scallions, trimmed
- 2 1/2 lb Peas, shelled
- 1 1/4 lb Fava Beans, shelled & blanched
- 1 cup diced Zucchini
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 cups shredded Romaine
- 1 tbsp shredded Mint Leaves
- Olive Oil
Lidia Bastianich Scafatta Recipe Directions
- In a casserole pan with a lid, heat olive oil on medium.
- Cook scallions and onions until they wilt.
- Add beans, zucchini, red pepper, and peas.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add mint and romaine. Cover and cook until veggies are tender, another 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
The Talk Dessert: Chocolate Bread Parfait Recipe Ingredients
For dessert, Lidia made a bread-based treat.
- 8 oz Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
- 8 oz White Bread, crust removed
- 1/2 cup Espresso
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Almonds, sliced
- 2 tbsp Sugar
The Talk: Chocolate Bread Parfait Directions
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Keep warm off heat after melting.
- Slice bread and lay it in a single flat layer on a baking sheet.
- Pour espresso into a measuring cup and mix in sugar with half your melted chocolate.
- Pour the sauce mixture over your bread.
- Flip bread and coat other side as well. Let bread absorb.
- Whip your cream to form soft peaks.
- Break bread into small pieces and layer them in parfait glasses.
- Use residual chocolate sauce from baking pan to drizzle.
- Add a layer of melted chocolate to the parfaits.
- Top with half whipped cream and half the nuts.
- Add additional layers of each ingredients, finishing with whipped cream and almonds.