The Talk Takeaway: Cooking
Get ready to step into the kitchen and make some great French recipes with a twist that you could try this weekend. Chef Ludo Lefebvre is a mentor on ABC’s The Taste, and he is about to open a new LA restaurant. He made a Salmon En Croute Recipe and Apple Clafoutis on The Talk.
The Talk: Salmon En Croute with Red Wide-Shallot Reduction
En Croute is a crust, which is typically used with beef. But for The Talk, Chef Ludo prepared it using salmon. Make sure to keep your phyllo dough moist. This recipe pairs red wine with salmon.
The Talk: Chef Ludo Lefebvre Salmon En Croute Ingredients
- 4 Salmon Fillets (6 oz each)
- 6 sheets Phyllo Dough
- 1/2 cup Clarified Butter
- 1 cup Ruby Port
- 1 cup Dry Red Wine
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Shallots, minced
- Salt & Pepper
The Talk: Salmon En Croute Directions
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.
- Brush phyllo dough with clarified butter, one sheet at a time.
- Create three layers of brushed dough and place two fillets of salmon on one side of the dough.
- Fold the other side of the dough over to cover the salmon, and press the edges together to seal the fish inside.
- Use a knife to trim excess off the edges.
- Place salmon packets on a baking sheet, repeating the process to make four packets.
- To make the sauce, combine port with shallots and wine in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer until liquid thickens and reduces to about 1/3 cup.
- Add butter and season as desired.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Prepare a baking sheet and heat a saute pan on medium high.
- In batches, saute the salmon packets to golden brown.
- Transfer them to the prepared baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about eight minutes.
- Plate cooked salmon packets and surround them with sauce before serving.
The Talk: Apple Clafoutis Recipe Ingredients
For dessert, the French chef made a French cake which reminded him of his childhood.
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup & 2 tbsp Sugar
- 10 Eggs
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 lb Apples, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
The Talk: Chef Ludo Lefebvre Apple Clafoutis Directions
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Prepare a baking dish using butter, and sprinkle sugar over the dish, shaking to create an even coat.
- Spread apple slices in the dish.
- Combine eggs, extra yolks, and sugar in a bowl. Blend well.
- Add 2 cups cream and flour until combined.
- Pour batter over apples in the baking dish.
- Cook 50 minutes, until crust is brown and center is just set.
- For the almond cream, combine powdered sugar, a cup of cream, and almond extract until fluffy.
- Serve dish warm with almond cream and powdered sugar.